3|Death Ain't Easy

Greenville, SC

Greenville, SC

💲DAMIR💲
Damir stood in front of his grandmother's headstone. He crouched down and wiped away some dust that had built up on it.

In loving memory of Delores Green
A beloved mother, grandmother, and wife

"I miss you grams," he said while swiping his thumb across the oval-shaped picture of his grandmother imprinted on the tombstone.

He'd come here every month to give her flowers and sometimes just to think, it was his safe space.

"Life ain't been the same without you," Damir said shaking his head and he wasn't lying, everything just felt weird after his granny died. Wasn't shit the same, holidays, cookouts, or his birthday.

Damir's grandma was his whole heart, the woman's soul was so kind. She was one of them grannies that fed the whole block and she didn't ever let Damir just go outside with a popsicle for himself every kid had to have one in their hand.

Everybody mourned her death. She just wasn't Damir's granny, she was the neighborhood granny too.

"It's been a year and some months and my heart still ache like you died yesterday," Damir said letting out a shaky breath. He knew death wasn't easy and the pain he was feeling would probably never go away.

Damir stood up "I love you, granny," he said as he sat the flowers down by her headstone.

                  💲💲💲

Dope walked through the cold abandoned warehouse as his hands sat in the pockets of his black Moncler jacket.

His brown eyes scanned the room seeing partially naked woman slaving over the stove pouring sodium bicarbonate into pots of boiling water.

Others were weighing small bags filled with a white substance on a fish scale.

"Hey Dope," some of the girls said in unison waving at him while smiling. He greeted them back with a simple head nod.

Dope made his way to the back of the warehouse nearing his boss's office.

"You said you needed me boss," Dope said as he walked into the nearly vacant office with only a desk and one chair in it.

Kaine, Dope's boss had called him up earlier saying he needed him to come up to the warehouse on Mason Lane. Kaine said he needed to speak with him about something and Dope was already fully aware of what it was.