Ekua Pride

Nobody's Pov

Ziniba raised the wand again and the green smog swirled around them until it looked like they were in the middle of a tornado. She blasted the everyone in the room with a spell and they were suddenly wrapped into Ziniba's memory. Here is what happened:

The room they stood in was dimly lit and broken down, obviously a house on the Isle. Two ten-year-olds raced each other through the main room and into a side room that had two beds. The girl stopped and began to dig through a box in the corner.

"Where is that darn book?" she grumbled.

"Why're ya asking me?" the boy asked pushing his uncut messy hair out of his eyes. It wasn't hard to tell this little boy was a younger Ned.

"I'm not," the girl snapped impatiently. "And it's "why are you" not "why're ya"." She pulled out a worn down book that didn't have its cover anymore. "Here it is."

"Let's go then." Ned turned around and began to walk back into the main room.

When the girl stood it was easy to identify her as the younger Ziniba.

Younger Ziniba started to run after younger Ned but kicked something protruding from under the bed. It squeaked and pulled itself in. Ziniba crouched and looked under the bed.

"Ekua, what are you doing?"

"I'm not going to school and you can't make me!" came the answer.

Ned came back in.

"Coming?" he asked.

"Yeah, hold on," Ziniba answered as she reached under bed and pulled a little girl out.

The girl was about six or seven and was the girl Ziniba had shown the everyone earlier. By appearence, there would have been no way to tell the girls were sisters because of their different skin tones and hair colors.

"We're going to be late. Let's go," Ziniba told Ekua.

"I don't care," Ekua stated.

"What's wrong?" Ned asked, peeking into the room, not trusting girls when they sound like they're on the edge of a breakdown.

"Ekua's not coming."

"Why not?"

Ekua sniffled and crossed her arms.

"The teasing?" Ziniba guessed.

The silence confirmed the guess.

Ziniba let out a puff of air and took Ekua's hand.

"They'll regret it someday, I promise."

"But, Ziniba," Ekua said earnestly "We are descended from lions! Why are we still the underdogs?"

"Hey, I am standing right here," Ned playfully snapped.

"Sorry, Ned," Ekua said as Ziniba smiled and playfully chucked a pillow at Ned, "But you know what I mean."

"We won't be the underdogs for forever," Ziniba promised. "Now c'mon, or we'll be late for school."

The scene faded as younger Ziniba helped Ekua to her feet.

It faded back in on the three of them racing down the dirty streets. Ned was in the lead and Ziniba was close on his heels with Ekua a few paces behind.

"Hurry up!" Ned called over his shoulder. "You're as slow as my grandma... and she's dead!"

"Shut up, Ned!" Ziniba grumbled.

A cane suddenly shot from behind a garbage can, tripping Ekua. Her book flew from her hand and landed in a puddle.

"Darn!" She yelled.

Ziniba and Ned skidded to a stop and ran back to help her. As Ziniba pulled Ekua to her feet, a fierce look on Ziniba's face, Ned snatched the cane away from it's owner and rapped the owner on the head.

"Ow!" Lou Lou daughter of Judge Frollo said as she popped out, rubbing her head. She was about two years older than (younger) Ned and Ziniba and was taller than both of them by a foot.

Lou Lou wore a brown sleeveless tunic with black leggings and a cross on a simple silver chain. Her hair was a plain brown with brown-black eyes. She was only twelve so Ned thought she needed to grow into the outfit a bit.

Lou Lou snatched away the cane and glared.

"Wanna mess with me, little man?"

Ned bared his teeth in response.

Lou Lou stomped her foot and made a scary face and yelled "Boo!"

Ned's natural hyena instinct was to jerk away and run away yipping but he was able to catch him self before he got to the running away part. But still, he was off balance so Lou Lou smacked the butt end of her cane into his chest making him sprawl backward and fall, smacking his head against the pavement and momentarily stunning him.

"Hey!" Ziniba yelled, yanking a knife that had blade about nine inches long out of her pocket and charging Lou Lou.

Lou Lou dodged out of the way and pushed Ziniba and ran away. Ziniba tripped and tried to get her knife out of the way of her fall but instead she accidentally sliced it down the left side of her face. She jerked, yanking her hand with the knife downward, slicing her skin down her neck and across her torso, and when she finished falling the blade stabbed into her hip.

She rolled on her back, screaming in pain, blood started to form in a pool.

The scene faded out, the last thing the VKs hearing was Ekua's calls for help.

"But, how was that my fault?"  Mal called towards wherever the now Ziniba was.

"That wasn't," Ziniba's voice echoed around the room, into everyone's ears, "but this is."

The scene faded back in to younger Ziniba and Ekua walking along one of the cliffs of the Isle that overlooked the sea. It seemed to be a week later because Ziniba had bandages all down her face and neck and, judging by the bulge of her shirt, down her torso as well. Ziniba was talking to Ekua.

"Would you please stop walking so close? Every time I stop you run into me." Ziniba seemed to be in a bit of pain and because of it she looked a little short tempered.

"I'm sorry, Ziniba," Ekua said.

"Well, then go away," Ziniba snapped, waving her hand as if Ekua was a fly.

"But, Ziniba-."

"Shoo!"

Ziniba stomped away and a Ekua watched her go. The scene followed Ziniba as she walked down the street.

"Ziniba!" Ekua called after a bit.

Ziniba looked over her shoulder. Several kids had gathered and were teasing Ekua.

"Deal with yourself," Ziniba grumbled before looking away.

Ekua broke into a run and her foot slipped on the edge of the cliff. She disappeared over the side, screaming, as Ziniba looked over.

"Ekua!" Ziniba screamed and bolted to the cliff's edge. When she couldn't see anything over the side she dashed to a place that led to the rocks at the bottom of the cliff.

Out of the corner of the scene you could see the kids racing away and among them you could catch the flash of purple from Mal's jacket.

The scene faded out and then everyone could hear Scar's voice as he told Ziniba:

"They couldn't save her. I'm sorry." His voice cracked.

"Word of what happened reached the school board and they gave Ned and I private teachers, making it so that we wouldn't be harmed during school hours but still learn all we needed to," now Ziniba said as she stepped out of the fog to become a scene of her own. "And so we disappeared except for occasional times. A few years later me, Ned, and a few other African prodigies formed a pack. And you all know the rest from when Ned and I were invited back to Auradon.

"And from those memories, Mal," Ziniba finished up the story, her eyes on fire "You can see, you helped kill my little sister. And you are going to pay."