Love can Thaw

We were in each other's arms in seconds.

Life was crazy and didn't make any sense. But that didn't matter. What mattered is that I was holding my little sister.

Years of lying in bed staring up at the ceiling, thinking of what I could have done to prevent her death come flooding back. Years of wishing she was still at my side. Years of... bitterness.

"But how?!" I gasped through my joyful tears.

She scrunched her face, trying to remember.

She was older now, thirteen.

"Ned found me at the bottom of the cliff. On the rocks. He talked to me for a few seconds before I fell asleep."

"Fell asleep?"

She nodded. "Yeah."

"But, you haven't been asleep. You fell off the cliff and... and died."

She looked shocked.

"I regretted it the moment I did it," she said in a barely audible voice.

"Did what?"

"Jumped."

Shock courses through me.

"What?!"

She swallowed and nodded.

"I was done. I guessed it wouldn't look like sui... an accident, more like I'd slipped."

"No, I thought... someone had pushed you," I said.

She shook head.

"How... how are you here? Alive?"

"When I fell I hit the rocks at the bottom. Ned had taken me there before and I supposed it would be a good place to die. What I didn't know was Ned was down there." She turned around and a trickle of green smoke came out of her fingers.

A scene came out of it.

Ten-year-old Ned leapt from rock to rock towards Ekua's broken body. When he reached her he lightly grasped her arm.

He looked scared. "Where does it hurt?"

No answer. Blood drizzled out of Ekua's mouth.

"Ekua!" He cried.

But she was gone.

"I'll bring you back," he promised. "I'll study and I'll get of this stinking Isle and get to Auradon where I can study! I will get you back!"

He took a few of her hairs.

"And... I promise I'll do whatever it takes to take care of Ziniba."

He then somberly jumped from rock to rock away.

As the scene faded and I could feel all the bitterness drain out of me and for a moment I felt light as a feather.

Mal didn't kill Ekua.

It was then replaced by heavy guilt.

What had I done?

Ekua didn't noticed my guilt ridden face.

"And he did! Didn't he?! He fulfilled every promise! He brought me back and he took care of you!" She turned to me. "Zin, what's wrong!"

"Ned." A tear ran down my face. "I froze his heart. He's... gone."

Ekua's face looked shocked and horrified.

"What?" She whispered.

I told her the story. My years of brooding and plotting, going to Auradon, my friends, getting betrayed by Chad, sneaking Harry and Gil here and tricking Ben, putting a love spell on Sinbad, how dad just wanted to go back to Africa, zombifying Auradon, getting the wand, nearly killing Mal, and... killing Ned.