Chapter Sixty-Nine - Safe

Go to wearbts.com and use code scoups to get 10% off! They also offer free shipping!

Doyoung snarled, tail whipping back and forth in anger as he stared the both of you down. Taehyung managed to escape your grasp, flinging himself in front of you. Doyoung took this as an attack, hissing and raising a clawed hand to swat at him. You pulled Taehyung back, your back bumping against the wall as your arms circled around his waist. Taehyung's arms came out, raised at his sides and angled back to brush against the wall, caging you in protectively behind him.

"Doyoung, please. He's just defensive, but he won't hurt you unless you hurt him. I promise you, as long as you're with me you're safe. Neither of us will hurt you, I swear." You peeked out from behind Taehyung to see the snow leopard holding back tears.

You ducked down under Taehyung's arm, holding him back when he tried to grab you back. You raised your hands in front of you, palms facing Doyoung so that he knew that you meant no harm. He growled low in his throat but let you approach him, stiffening at the hand you placed on his shoulder. You moved excruciatingly slowly, giving him all of the chances to back out before you wrapped your arms around his neck, pressing your body to his in a hug. He crumbled in your arms, sobbing into your neck as his knees gave out. You struggled to hold him up, kneeling down instead and sitting him in front of you.

"Doyoung, don't cry, it's okay. We're gonna take care of you, I'll get you to the shelter that I work at, all of the employees are genuinely nice to the hybrids."

"Please don't let her take me back, please, I'll do anything! I can't go back, she's terrible! She hits me every day, any time I do anything until it's time for a fight, and then she pits me against the strongest hybrids that the ring has to offer, I can't go back, please."

He was beyond hysterics and Taehyung whined behind you, kneeling down beside you and pressing himself into you. You turned, squeezing him in a hug briefly before turning back to the sobbing hybrid.

"Doyoung, just listen. I'm not giving you back. You're not going back, I'm not letting her take you back. Your time with her is over. You're safe now, you're not going back, and you don't have to fight anymore. You're safe. Please, please trust me. I'm going to drive you to that shelter right now, so that you don't have to stay anywhere in between. They'll get you a bath or a shower, make you a hot meal and give you a warm, cozy bed to sleep in. You'll have clothes and books and other hybrids to interact with, you're gonna have a lot of fun."

"But what if she finds me again!"

"She won't. She's not allowed to step foot in the shelter and if she does we definitely won't let her adopt you. We're going to try and get her into prison, she keeps weaseling her way out, but I'm determined. The shelter makes sure that all potential owners are nice and suitable for each hybrid, we do tons of background checks and we check up with the hybrids at least monthly after the adoption to make sure that they're doing well. You're not going back, I promise."

Doyoung slowly lifted his head and his icy blue eyes stared into yours with so much sadness that it brought tears to your eyes.

"It sounds too good to be true."

"It's not. I was there too, it's how she found me. A group of rangers found me on the run and brought me into the shelter, and I was terrified. But I smelled something really sweet and I ran past everyone into the back room and shut myself in so that no one could hurt me. Y/n was in there, she's who I smelled. She gave me a shower, fed me, and was going to put me in a room but decided to take me home. That shelter really is amazing, it's the reason I'm here. And hopefully, once you're there, you find your Y/N." The tears that had gathered at Doyoung's gaze were spilling down your cheeks now at Taehyung's speech, the memories from the night you'd met him imprinted into your mind.

Taehyung noticed that you were crying, whining and enveloping you in a hug. You buried your face in his neck, sniffling and clutching onto the fabric of his shirt. You wiped your tears quickly, not wanting Doyoung to feel awkward.

"Will you come with us?"

He hesitantly nodded and rose to his feet. Taehyung got up first, lowering a hand to help you off of the ground. You accepted it, wrapping an arm around his side as you led Doyoung to your car. It was a bit of a walk back to the parking lot but Doyoung looked so happy to be allowed to sit in the seat of the car, you assumed he'd only ever been sat in the trunk or on the floor, if allowed inside at all.

You pulled into the shelter's parking lot, helping Doyoung unbuckle his seatbelt. You walked him inside, Taehyung grasping at your hand as well. You greeted the employee at the front desk, walking straight to the back room where you knew the showers were waiting.

"Would you be more comfortable with a female employee helping you or a male employee? Both are available at the moment and you don't even have to take your clothes off yet if you don't want to."

Doyoung stared at the ground, a small frown on his face.

"Would... Could you help me please?"

"Of course. Go in there, and pick whichever stall you want to shower in, and I'll get towels."

You turned to Taehyung, pointing to one of the empty rooms.

"Can you go in there and set up the bed? It just needs the sheets put on, and then unlock the dresser? They keys are on the desk."

He nodded and smiled at you, "Helping people feels good, I'm glad we're doing this."

You cooed at him, kissing his cheek and walking off to go get towels.