Chapter Seventy-Two - His Third Identity

Go to wearbts.com and use code scoups to get 10% off! They also offer free shipping!

This was very seventeen-centric and I'm not even sorry, but more about Y/N and Taehyung is coming soon, don't worry. :)

--

Your head spun at the newfound information. You were glad that Minseok had found someone, incredibly so, as you'd felt terribly when he'd confessed. But you'd never have expected him finding love within the same gender. You were not judging, not one bit, just surprised. Hybrid's and mates worked that way, regardless of gender. Love was love in their world and there was no prejudice against same-sex relationships.

You frowned as the only rooms down the hall that Minseok had walked down were the employee dorms. Someone always had to be there, as the hybrids in one place at the same time was an immense security risk, people were always trying to break in. Not to mention that some of the newer hybrids or the younger ones would have nightmares, and would go sprinting through the halls and hop into someone's bed for snuggles. Many a night had you awoken to a teary-eyes Jungkook wiggling his way under your blankets when you'd been on night shifts at the shelter. 

The bunny had especially bad nightmares when he was younger, probably due to his abandonment issues. He preferred sleeping in at least the same room as someone, and if he was close enough with them he'd worm his way into their bed for the night.

Now that he'd been living with you though, he was sleeping through the night so much more often. There'd be about one night a month where he'd crawl into your and Taehyung's bed, squirming his way in between the two of you and sandwiching himself in the middle. But other than that, the bunny wasn't plagued by such awful dreams.

You wondered, as Minseok had had such a rough past, if he suffered from nightmares. Most likely, but wolf hybrids tended to try to shove down their feelings in front of anyone who was not a part of their pack. Wolf hybrids were perfectly content at letting humans be members of their packs, as long as they were still treated with respect. But you were betting that Minseok hadn't found an entire pack yet, save for his significant other. 

The kitchens were also down the way that Minseok had gone, and rather than speculating which employee he was dating you decided that he was probably just getting dinner.

You turned to Taehyung who's face was still screwed up in concentration.

"I know the smell. It's familiar, but I can't place it. It's just barely stuck in my memory, so it can't be someone I know very well. But I've definitely met them before."

"It's okay, it's none of our business. If Minseok wants to tell us who he's with, he will. But it's not our place to snoop." You placed a hand on Taehyung's knee and squished Soonyoung's cheek. He seemed to have unconsciously shifted back into a human, and you took full advantage of his chubby baby weight. He was old enough that he was starting to thin out, but his cheeks remained full and squishy. 

Children tended to have less restraint and control over their animal sides, which was realistic. It was the reason for unconscious shifting, and an occasional lapse in judgement. Sometimes, their animal side just took the front seat and they had no control over it. Seokmin was an especially bubbly, hyper hybrid, not to mention he was a dog hybrid. Dog hybrids especially were known for having the least restraint. At the shelter, you did your best to educate the children, and also teach them self control. You thought that Seokmin's occasional slip-ups in control were adorable, the way his eyes sometimes glittered if his tail swung in front of his face, or how he'd end up tumbling head over heels to chase down a ball that you'd thrown for him. Ideally, Seokmin would be adopted by someone who accepted his bubbly personality, not tried to push it down.

Currently, the german shepherd hybrid was sleepily rambling about life at the shelter to Doyoung, face squished against the elder's chest.

"And you can come and play with me and my friends, Jihoon, and Seungkwan, and Seungcheol, and Minghao..." The child trailed off, trying desperately to name all twelve of his friends, but in his tired state managing only four others. Jihoon, the cat hybrid, was perceived as moody but was really just selective in who he opened up to. Seungkwan, the peacock hybrid, was as beautiful as his animal counterpart suggested, while Seungcheol the fox hybrid was the elected father of the group. His cunning nature helped all of his friends get out of trouble, but they never went too far, they were sweet boys at heart. Minghao, the persian cat hybrid was one of your favorites, not that you had any. His fluffy ears always stood high on his head as did his little round glasses on his button nose. 

The youngest, Chan, had always been close to those who treated him kindly. All of the employees received daily hugs and cheek kisses from the boy, his little pudgy hands clasping behind their necks. You'd have to visit them all later, you missed them all dearly.

You were too lost in reminiscing about Seokmin and all of his friends that you almost didn't notice the two pairs of footsteps enter the room. You turned, seeing Suho, or Junmyeon, if you were being correct, enter first, the second pair of feet lingering at the door.

"Hello again Y/N! I didn't know you came back here?"

"Yeah, we saw Jennie at the store, we managed to rescue her hybrid but she got away. I'm gonna file a report against her, don't worry."

You saw Junmyeon's frown and nodded sympathetically. Taehyung's nose was twitching, his head raised as he was trying to scent something in the air.

"Well, goodnight Y/N, I'm gonna get to bed. It's not that late, but I had to get up really early this morning to get over to your place from where I live. I'm just glad I'm staying here tonight, and I don't have to go all the way back."

"Oh, I'm sorry Junmyeon! I didn't know you were so far away, we could have met halfway or something. So sorry. Get some good sleep, you need it."

You sympathized with the smiling man, offering him a wave and a goodnight of your own. It was only when you heard a, 'Junmyeon, let's go to bed, I'm tired,' that you recognized the voice and knew exactly who Minseok's new boyfriend was.