Chapter 4

"Good afternoon Mr. Rafferd!" I greeted as we ride by Bob's house.

     "Hello there Marie! When will you learn to call me Bob?" He complains jokingly.

     "Alright, Mr. Ra - I mean, Bob," I say. He smiles and continues to rake the leaves off his yard.

     "Bye, Bob!" Alice called.

     "Mr. Rafferd to you missy," Alice gets a puzzled look on her face and I chuckle.

     We get inside, go to the kitchen, and start our homework while snacking on nacho cheese Gripz. They're so good! I could eat every packet in the box, but then I wouldn't have any left for tomorrow. The teacher gave us to write an essay paper on the history of the Eiffle Tower. Heaven knows why. I also have my Algebra and English homework. I wish I didn't have any homework and I could just get home and relax; eat my Gripz while reading a book and laying on my bed with my cat.

     Alice can be a bit lazy when it comes to doing her homework. She's quite the professional at procrastinating. However, she always comes up with excuses; I don't procrastinate. I just like to do things later. This sentence has become her new motto in life. I manage to keep her in track though. I am the complete opposite of Alice when it comes to academics and homework. I'm always on top of her making her finish her schoolwork. If she doesn't do them now, she'll have to do them later; if she takes way too long on it... we can't hang out together. She wouldn't be able to do what she likes and have fun with her friends and family. So, I help her with that, cheering her on like a cheerleader. Although sometimes I wish she could be responsible with her school work because it's like trying to get a toddler to go to sleep.

     "So, I have part of the information of the year of the Eiffel Tower and who made it, plus some other things I found in the library," Alice suggested as she walks towards the table while carrying about 3 books and her mini laptop.

     "Oh, Alice, you're a life saver!" I exclaimed.

     Right as Alice places the books on the table, my stepmom, Lauren, walks in the kitchen.

     "Hey, girls, how was school?" 

     "Good I guess." She seemed so uninterested. Still, I continued, "we learned about the history of France today, and now we have to write this essay paper about the Eiffel Tower."

     "Interesting," Lauren said in the most uninterested way. Why does she hate me so much? I'm a good person to her. Not even Navey treats them as good as I do. She – more than anyone – treats me like a dog. Oh, who am I fooling, she treats a dog better than she treats a human.

     My stepparents adopted me because they wanted a child, but they were expecting a little boy, so you can imagine their disappointment. Therefore, I'm not treated all that well; apart from being uneducated on manners and etiquette. It seems like no one is these days.

     "Navey is at a friend's house and she's going to sleep over there so she won't be here until morning," Lauren says as she's putting her jacket on to leave for work at a dinner 10 mins from home.

     "I'm going to work, and I won't be here by midnight so when I get home I want to see those dishes done," she says in a serious tone.

     "Okay, and what about John?" I asked. Sometimes, I feel bad for John. I feel bad for him having to deal with this woman's attitude sometimes. She spoils the mood when she speaks.

     "Oh, he's also going to be late, maybe midnight too," and she's off.

     The dishes, I thought with a sigh as I looked at them.