Chapter 8

P.O.V of John:

    "K dude, I got ahead big time now. Bye, Allin, see you tomorrow," I said.

     "Alright, man," my co-worker, Allin, replied.

     "See you tomorrow, John," said my other co-worker.

     I grab my bag and clock out. I head out to my blue truck. I'm so tired. I walk dragging my heals against the ground. I could go for a crisp, cold beer right now. I get in my truck and drive home. It's 11:20pm and I'm anxious to get home, take a nice, warm shower, have a beer, and sleep. Why does the road seem longer when you're tired?

     "I'm home!" I yell as I make my way through the door.

     No one answers. Usually Marie would respond with a 'hey.'

     I lock the door behind me and turn to head inside. The whole place is messed up. What happened here? 

     "Marie, what did you do?" I yell towards her room questioningly.

     No one answers. I put my stuff down and go to the kitchen. I open the fridge and grab a beer. My senses awaken at the thought of the fresh, cold beer gliding down my throat. Prickling all through my insides with a warm and cooling sensation all at once. I set it on the kitchen counter and go to take out the trash first, as I always do when back from work. As I go to tie it up, I see broken glass scattered across the living room floor. It's the vase from the living room table, I think to myself.

     "Marie! Come here right now!" I yell with anger. That's Lauren's favorite vase! She's gonna kill me! I stomp heading to Marie's room.

     "If you broke that vase, you're paying for that because that vase was Lauren's fav-" I stop yelling when I open Marie's door and she's not there. What? Where is she? She should be here at home by this time. What time is it?

     I call out for Marie, but she doesn't answer. There is some fiddling in the closet and the sound of bells jingling. Am I drunk? No, I haven't drunken yet. It's a good thing I didn't drink that beer right then and there. I open the semi-closed closet and there, in the corner, all curled up into a ball, was Garfield. I don't like cats, but I feel bad him.

     "What's the matter kitty?" I say as I pick him up, "Kitty? You're really heavy!"

     "Where's Marie, huh?" I asked the cat and I was waiting for an answer. Am I sure I'm not drunk?

     I search the entire house for Marie and there's no sign of her at all. I decide to call Alice because I assume, she'd be at her best friend's house. If she is, she is in trouble. This is not her curfew.

     "Hello?" Says Alice's dad.

     "Hey, is Marie there?" I ask. I didn't even ask how he was, I just got to the point.

     "No, Alice came alone. Is everything alright?" Alice's dad responds with concern.

     "No, it's just she isn't here, can I talk to Alice? Maybe she knows something." I say.

     "Sure," assures Alice's dad.

     I wait while holding Garfield and tapping my foot on the floor.

     "Hello?" says Alice.

     To which I respond with "Hey, I asked your dad if Marie was with you and he said no but I was wondering if you knew where she could be."

     Alice responds in perplexity and a bit defensive, with "I left her there at home putting the dishes back."

     "She's not here, Alice don't be playing games with me," I say nervously and irritable.

     "What are you talking about? It can't be that she isn't there, I left her there!" Alice replies concerningly.

     I went to say something, but she hung up. I am so confused and worried for Marie. Yes, I didn't treat her perfectly, but Marie grew a place in my heart at some point, she helped me see the world differently. Really, she did. My heart begins to beat quicker. I hope she's ok. Could she have run away? If she did, was it because of me? Or maybe Lauren? Lauren was and is very hard on her. I hold Garfield tightly to my chest and hold his little head with one hand to my shoulder. I need to call Lauren.