Chapter 22

We've waited in the lobby for what feels like days but really, it's only been some hours. The man has taken some breaks because he also had to attend other customers. When he was finished with them, he'd go back to room and continue his search. While we wait, I sip on my hot coffee, wrapping my hands around the cup to indulge in its warmth. It's so piercingly cold I can't feel my nose, but drinking this coffee warms me from the inside out; with the help of the heater in this place as well. This hot liquid leaves a trail of warmth down my throat, into my stomach, and disperses throughout my body. At least it's also calming me down a bit. I'm so nervous; what if it's not here? What if it's nowhere?

     "Miss Rousseau?" The man calls out and all three of us look at him. "Please come with me."

     We all get up and start towards him.

     "Oh, are you all Marie Rousseau?" he mocks at Alice and Bob with his deep voice. We don't reply, and I look back to them and nod. They sit back down, and Alice lets out a bothered sigh.

     "Didn't think so," he says and turns around for me to follow.

     "Right this way," he gestures for me to enter an office with a man sitting at his desk.

     "Come in, come in! Make yourself comfortable. Can I offer you a cup of water, coffee?" The man offers.

     "No, I'm good, thank you," I reply.

     "Well, the name's David Ortiz. I'm the Managing Director of this place and I am also a licensed investment lawyer, Mr. Klenn over here told me that you're looking for information on Daniél Olmônd Rousseau," he explains and pauses for me to answer.

     "Yes," I reply so he can continue. For a second there my eyes opened wider and I hold a breath anticipating what I've been hoping for. Please be here, please be here.

     "We have good news and bad news, which do you want to hear first?"

     I pause for a moment, "Bad news."

     "Alright then. Rousseau's money doesn't exist anymore. It's not here at least, it's been more than a hundred years." Mr. Ortis explains.

     "Oh," my eyes aren't as wide now.

     "Now for the good news."

     "Right, the good news," I mumble.

     "We did find his information on his possessions, properties, and how much money was left after he died."

     "We?" Mr. Klenn countered.

     "That's not important right now. Here's the information – please be very careful with it – it includes everything he owned and the money."

     I gently take the papers and examine them; I let out a breath of relief. It has everything he included in the Will. He then hands me a paper with the record of his account and at the very top of the list is the amount of money he last had before he died, and it stayed there. When I see the number I momentarily forget to breathe. I put a hand to my mouth and freeze, staring at the number. Oh my god. I exhale and start to breathe again.

     "There is one more good news," he adds while giving me another paper. It's a letter. It has my grandfather's handwriting but this time in English. I gasp softly at the sight of it and begin to read.

Henry, please pardon my way of thinking. You know the position I am in right now and I can't seem to trust anyone else anymore. Close my account so no money may come in or out. Freeze my account so that it may exist for years and years to come because I've written a Will appointing all of my money to someone, but I know that by the time it gets to her, it will be many, many years ahead. Therefore, I need you to make your arrangements to keep my money there for a very long time, please Henry.

Much obliged,

Daniél Olmônd Rousseau

     He froze it.

     "It's been a very long time and he didn't explain how many years he meant so, that account dissolved. However, we can recuperate that money. You create an account with various banks, and we can transfer that money into your account," Mr. Ortiz explains with his hand gestures aiding at his explanations.

     "Oh my gosh, really? You'd be able to do that?" I ask in astonishment.

     "Yes," he says gently. "Now, we can start now if you'd like, how old are you?" He asks as he clicks at his computer.

     "I'm 17," I answer, "but I'll be 18 in April," I quickly add.

     "Well, Miss Rousseau, if you would like to start now then I'm going to need a parent or legal guardian with you and you'd be able to use the account yourself only once you turn 18," he explains.

     "Yes, of course. Can I come back when I'm eighteen? It wouldn't affect this?" I ask nervously.

     "Oh of course you can, it wouldn't affect any of this as long as you still have the Will, and I need those records back by the way," Mr. Ortiz assures as I pass him the records and the small letter.

     We say our goodbyes and shake hands. I am escorted out back to the lobby.

     "Thank you so much Mr. Klenn for finding those papers."

     "Oh, you're welcome." We part ways as he makes his way to assist other customers. Alice, Bob, and I head out the door, bracing ourselves for the piercing, freezing cold.