Chapter 21

"You're rich! Marie you're rich!" Alice squeals.

     "Yeah, I gue- "

     "Where are the keys?" Bob interrupts.

     "Oh here," I show the box on the table and open it. We fixed the cabin up and Bob propped the books back on the shelf, but the books are broken. I guess now the books don't only tell their original stories; they tell two.

     "Pure copper," Bob breathes out as he fixes his glasses upright.

     "Yes. He says that one is for his house in France and the other one is for a room in that house which has something else I need," I explain as they gaze at the beautiful keys.

     "A secrete room," Alice says in amazement probably thinking of all the fantasy books she's read. "It's like in the books."

     "What about the third key?" Bob asks.

     "I don't know." I say frowningly.

     "What? What do you mean?" Alice exclaims complainingly.

     "He said that I need to get to his house to get to that room because there's another letter telling me what it's for. I still don't know until I get to that house." I explain while I make hand gestures as I speak on the table as if there was a map there.

"Marie... your house," Alice says trying to make me understand that this house now belongs to me.

     "My house..." I whisper to myself.

     "Wait, it's in France?" Bob asks.

     "Yes," I reply.

     "With what money are you gonna get to France?" Alice asks throwing her hands in the air.

     "I'll use what I was given... the Will, remember?" I point out as a matter-of-fact.

     "Oh, right. How are you going to get that money?"

     "I'll present this letter to the court or the bank." I explain.

     "We should try the bank first," Bob points out.

     I wonder if they would even have what I'm looking for. It's been so long; I doubt that they would still have the money or even know what I'm talking about.

     "Wait, we? What do you mean we? How would we ever go out in public together without the looks or someone calling the police or Alice's mom?" I inquire.

     "Oh right, I had forgotten about that," Bob blurts while he thinks of an idea.

     "We could go to the City Bank. It's the one farthest from here so we wouldn't bump into anyone from here, and it's one of the oldest banks, maybe they could have some info on it," Alice assures.

     "Perfect!" Bob blurted out loud with wide eyes and a smile on his face

     "Let's hope they have it," I sigh out.

                                                                                ~~

     "We don't have it," claims the old man with his deep voice behind the desk; graying hair slick back proper, skin so fair, glasses, and very formal speach.

     "Are you kidding me!" Alice complains and throws her arms up again.

     "Are you sure?" Bob questions.

     "Listen four eyes, how about you put your glasses to work and use that pea-sized brain of yours, maybe you'll actually make it grow if you'd actually use it!" Alice lashes at the man angerly frowning her face.

     "How disrespectful!" The man responds, appalled.

     "Did you even look?" Bob asks the man with a questioning expression. Alice and Bob start arguing with the man talking over him and him over them.

     "Guys!" I call out to them sternly through my teeth trying to hold myself back from yelling and causing a scene.

     "They have to have it; it has to be here. Sir, please, can you check?" Alice sternly urges.

     "Sir, we've already gone through this letter and you have the name, can you at least look it up to make sure, please?" I nicely but frankly ask.

"Little ma'am, Sir, and... vicious ma'am- "

     "Got that right."

     "If the information you are looking for is from that time era than I'm afraid we don't have current information on the matter. It's been so long," the man explains trying to keep his composure, giving Alice a side-eye.

     "This bank doesn't keep any record on that?" I ask.

     "There is a room we have in the back where we keep old papers, of the most wealthy who would have Wills, if you'd like then I can go check but I can assure you it's not there. It is too old. And if it is there then I am going to have to ask you three to wait patiently as I look because it will be a while," he says harshly, pronouncing the 'h' in 'while,' smoothing out his already smooth tux, and glaring at Alice. He turns to leave for the back room and Alice rolls her eyes at his back.

     I really do hope he finds it. I hope he finds at least something. Something that could lead me to the money. What if it's not there? I can only hope but what if the man is right? It's been some 150 years since then; it's highly unlikely that it's there. I can only hope.