Chapter 7

-  "What were your friends and your stepparents doing?" Interrupts the dad with sarcastic curiosity.

     "Hm, I didn't think of telling that, thank you." I say through a tight and fake smile.

     "You're welcome."

     "It would be interesting to know." Adds Emily. 

     "Alright, I'll tell you what they were all up to." I assure. 

     "I mean we already know this never happened so there's no point in acting like it did anymore," Jackson mutters while bouncing his bouncy ball. Great, I think to myself sarcastically. At least they're settled down and I'm passing time until my flight is ready.

     "Oh, wait you never told us your name," asks Willy.

     "My time is coming to an end so I need to finish this story with no further interruptions," I explain. As much as I'm enjoying this, I really wish I could just sleep. Have some peace and quiet. Anyways, I resume with the story catching up on Alice, John, Lauren, and Bob. -

P.O.V of Alice:

     I step out to the breezy autumn night and head to my bike laying on Marie's front yard. I put in my headphones and play some music from my phone. I've been really into Scottish music lately. It's beautiful! I hope I pass my homework but honestly, who cares. But I'm pretty sure it's good cause I did find lots of information on them. Although my Algebra homework is most likely, completely terrible.

     "Mamá! Papá! I'm home!" I say as I kick off my shoes and head to my room. If I get a low grade on it, I am not doing it again. No way. I spent so much time on it and good information, my teacher's gonna have to deal with it, I think to myself as I walk upstairs.

     I throw myself on my bed finishing my song, looking up to the ceiling, moving my feet to the beat of the music. I could just fall asleep right now. My room is soft and cozy, beige walls, and many pictures of my family and friends.

     My song ended. Ugh, now I have to get up. I pick up my phone and text Marie,

     Alice: "Got home, see you tomorrow!"

     She doesn't answer back. Unusual, but I don't think much of it. I get out of bed with loud groans, grab my towel, and head to the shower. I turn on some more Scottish and Celtic music.

     Something about doing the most of our thinking in the shower is so inevitable. We sing, talk to ourselves, and say things we should've said in previous debates to the wall. That's the secret to hot, one-hour-long showers. I didn't want to get up from my bed and now I don't want to get out of the shower.

     "Alice, termina ya (finish up), you're taking forever!" My mom firmly yells.

     "Alright I'm almost done." I respond with a whine in my tone.

     "I should make you pay the water bill and see how long you're gonna take then!" My mom says angrily in her accent as she roughly closed the door.

     I grumpily turn off the water and get out to dry. As I'm getting dressed there's a knock on my door. It's probably mom again scowling at me. I'm already done, what does she want?

     "Que (what)?" I yell through the door.

     "Alice, Mr. Ollin is on the phone and wants to talk with you." It's not my mom; it's my dad. I freeze for a split second and quickly get dressed.

     "One sec I'm coming!" That's weird. What does he want? Am I in trouble? I didn't do anything.

     I open the door and grab the phone out of my dad's hands.

     "Hello?" I say to which Mr. Ollin responds with,

     "Hey, I asked your dad if Marie was with you and he said no but I was wondering if you knew where she could be." What?

     "I left her there at home putting the dishes back." I say concerned.

     "She's not here, Alice don't be playing games with me." says Mr. Ollin nervously. Excuse me, who does he think he is? Why would I be playing pranks on him like that? We ain't that close, honey. Anyways, she's there. She was putting the dishes back in the cabinets.

     "What are you talking about? It can't be that she isn't there, I left her there!" I reply concerningly and defensively.

     I hang up, this is not like Marie at all, I loudly say "¡Tenemosque ir a buscarla(we have to go look for her), she's gone!"

     My parents and I put on our jackets and shoes and head out.

     "Hey, Alice wait!" yells my mother.

     "There's no time for that!" I whine as they get in the car and we head to Marie's house.