I know, I know

Virgil gripped the railing of the bridge so hard it was a wonder his knuckles didn't burst through his skin. The metal was smooth and cold under his fingers, almost comforting in a strange way. Chest heaving, face shining with tears he didn't notice someone coming up behind him.

"Virgil?" It was Patton, his voice soft and comforting. "Please...come down,"

Do it. He doesn't care.

"G-go away," Virgil choked through the tears.

"No Virgil, I'm not leaving you,"

"Why? This is my fault,"

"No it's not. You didn't make Logan step in front of him,"

He's lying. He doesn't care. It's your fault.

Virgil's grip tightened on the railing. He stared down at the water below him. One leap. That's all it would take. One leap and he'd be free, away from all this pain.

"Please..." Patton's voice was barely more than a whisper, filled with fear and pain. He was standing frozen, terrified to move.

Virgil shook his head.
"Please...j-just leave me alone..."

"Virgil this is not your fault. You didn't ask for any of this. Logan put himself between you and him because he didn't want you in any more pain. He cares about you. He, almost literally, jumped in front of a gun for you. I care about you. Please come down. You'll get through this, ok?. We'll help you. I swear,"

Virgil's shoulders shook and tears rolled down his face. All of the fight seemed to leave him. His grip on the railing loosened and his arms fell to his sides. He stepped back from the railing, horrified by what he had been about to do. The voice in his head was no longer whispering to him.

His knees folded and he fell to the ground heavily. Patton ran over to him, wrapping his arms around the sobbing boy. His shoulders shook with relief.

"I-I'm s-sorry," Virgil whispered into Patton's shoulder.

"Shh, I know, I know," Patton mumbled, holding Virgil as if he never intended to release him. "It's ok kiddo. You're ok,"

Virgil continued to weep, although quieter and his breathing was becoming more even and regular.

"C'mon," Patton said gently, "Let's go see Logan, ok?"

Virgil nodded and rose unsteadily to his feet. He was shivering but Patton was sure it wasn't because of the cold.

-Time Skip-

Patton took Virgil's hand as they walked into the hospital, giving it a reassuring squeeze, knowing how Virgil felt about the place. Virgil was grateful for it. Being here brought back painful memories he had spent almost his whole life trying to bury.

"C'mon," Patton said, gently tugging Virgil's hand, "His parents are over here,"
He flicked his head in the direction of a waiting room, where a man and woman sat, both of them ashen faced. The woman stood up when she caught sight of Patton and strode over to them.

She enveloped Patton in a hug and murmured a greeting to him.

"How is he?" He asked.

"He's fine,"

Virgil let out an audible sigh of relief. He let relaxed his shoulders, not evening realising they were tensed.

Logan's mother smiled warmly at him, taking in his tears streaked face and bloodshot eyes.

"You must be Virgil," she said and before he could reply, or even nod, she had swept him into a crushing hug.
He froze, unsure how to react. He felt fresh tears burn in his eyes as more painful memories bubbled to the surface of his mind.

"Can we see him?" Patton asked eagerly, with an almost undetectable note of impatience.

"Yes dear," she nodded, smiling fondly at him, "We were waiting for you to arrive. By the way, why didn't you travel in the ambulance?"

Virgil froze. He had no idea what to say. Thankfully he was spared answering by Patton's breezy reply of "Stuff happened,"

By this point the man, who Virgil assumed was Logan's father had rose and made his way over to them.Virgil involuntarily shrank back from him; he looked incredibly similar to his father.

He nodded at Patton, his jaw set and all but ignored Virgil, who bit his lip.

Logan's mother walked over and exchanged a few words with the receptionist before turning and walking down one of the many corridors that branched off from the reception, motioning for the others to follow.

It was as they approached Logan's room that the voice returned, a mere whisper but there all the same.

He'll blame you.

Virgil tuned it out this time, shaking his head to clear his thoughts.

When they finally made it the right ward Patton was the first to Logan's bedside, throwing his arms around him, albeit gently, and showering his face with kisses.

"Patton I'm fine," he chuckled.

"I don't care, I was worried," Patton pouted.

Logan leaned forward and kissed Patton's nose lightly. "I know,"

Virgil glanced at Logan's father, who was standing rigid, his lips tight.

Not a fan huh? He thought and smiled internally before turning and sitting hesitantly on the edge of the bed.

Logan smiled at him and raised his hand to stop Virgil speaking.

"I know what you're going to say. It wasn't your fault, understand?"

————————————————

I'm not sorry😈

Did I make up for it with Logicality? No? Ok😂

I'm going to give you a warning now:
I'm not being kind to Logan.

You have been warned....

Later🤟🏻