Settled

"We're here," Thomas said as the car pulled up in the drive.

Virgil took a deep breath as he looked out at the house. It was bigger than he'd first imagined. Much bigger than his fathers house, that's for sure.

Grabbing his bag, he stepped out of the car and lifted  the box that contained his measly amount of possessions before before following Thomas to the front door. He steeled himself before stepping over the threshold although he wasn't exactly sure why. He knew Thomas had a son his age so he guessed it was just nerves about meeting him. Besides, staying in new places always made him uneasy at first. He get over it soon enough. At least he hoped he would.

He stayed quiet as Thomas showed him around, nodding occasionally to show that he was listening despite his silence.

"-and this is your room,"

Virgil's smiled despite himself when he saw the size of the room. Even though it was only average sized  he was used to an almost storage cupboard like space so he was a tad overwhelmed.

"I'll leave you to unpack and settle in," Thomas said, "I'll be downstairs if you need anything,"

Virgil nodded again. He walked slowly into the room and sat down on the bed. He was surprised when the springs didn't creak alarmingly after so long of sleeping in his rickety hand-me-down bed.

It didn't take Virgil long to unpack. Once he had finished he lay back on the bed with a sigh. He stared at the ceiling as he had done for hours on end in his old house, except this time the white plaster was devoid of hairline cracks.

He was knocked out of his doze by a knock on the door. A very irritating knock at that. Virgil took another deep breath and went to open the door. He figured he already knew who it was.

"Hi!" The boy standing outside the door looked a little older than Virgil. He was wearing a brown leather jacket and for some unknown reason a pair of sunglasses perched on his head despite his being indoors.

"H-hello," Virgil replied hesitantly.

"I'm Remy!" Said the boy. He had a Patton like air about him, but in a more confident, laid back manner which Virgil wasn't sure what to make off.

"V-Virgil,"

Remy seemed to pick up on Virgil's hesitant behaviour, dropping the 'I-don't-care-about-anything' expression he had been wearing for a kinder, more understanding look. "Can I come in?"

Virgil nodded and moved aside to let him enter before closing the door and sitting back down on the bed. Remy grabbed the chair from the desk and sat on it backwards, resting his hands on its back.

"So Virgil," he said, "Tell me about yourself,"

Virgil was startled by the question. He wasn't used to such a forward person. He thought for a moment before answering. "I like to draw,"

"Really?" Remy raised his head from its resting position on his arms. "Can I see some?"

Virgil nodded yet again. He grabbed a battered folder from the desk and looked through it for a second, searching for a drawing that wasn't inherently dark or depressing. He eventually found the drawing of Patton and Logan and showed it hesitantly to Remy. It was a bit tattered from being unsecured in the folder but the drawing was mostly undamaged.

Remy's jaw dropped as he took the drawing from Virgil. "This is insane!" He told him as he studied the paper. "Who are they?"

"My friends Patton and Logan," Virgil tapped the paper respectively when he said their names.

"How long did this take?"

Virgil shrugged. "A good three hours I think,"

"Wow. Just wow," Remy handed the drawing back and attempted to lean back in his chair, forgetting the minor detail of the chair being backwards. Consequently he ended up with his back on the floor and his legs caught on the chair back.

Virgil thought he might crack a rib from trying not to laugh as he kneeled next to the boy. "Are you ok?"

When Remy nodded he erupted into a fit of laughter to which the other boy soon joined in. Virgil stood up and pulled Remy to his feet before flopping back onto his bed, still giggling feebly.

Remy groaned. "My backkk" he faked whined before sitting back down again, the right way this time.

The two boys stayed in Virgil's room talking contentedly for a few hours, with Virgil becoming more confident as time went on. This wasn't going to be as bad as he had thought.

—————————————————

Yay new character! I know Remy isn't a side but I love him so...yeah!

Also I've decided to start writing that fantasy Au so go check that out! (*Patton voice* if you want to)

Later🤟🏻