*muffled sobbing*

"Hey Virgil!" Remy called when he opened the door of the house.

"Hey," Virgil replied from the living room. "What's gotten you so happy?"

Remy just grinned as he walked into the room and flopped down on the sofa. A grin was plastered across his flushed face and his eyes were glinting.

Virgil shifted his position in the armchair he was sprawled across so he was facing the boy. "This is to do with Emile isn't it? You're never this happy when you get home from school,"

Remy's cheeks flared again and he avoided Virgil's gaze. "Maybe..."

"Ok spill,"

"I sorta asked him out. And he said yes,"

"Aww, that's awesome!" Virgil said. Remy had been having a shit time at school lately so he was happy something was going well for him; it was unusual to see him to excited and well, unlike himself.

Remy just nodded and rested his head on the back of the sofa with closed eyes, letting out a sigh. It was finally the Christmas holidays and Virgil and Remy both were exhausted. They lay still and quiet for a few minutes until Virgil's phone inevitably broke the silence:

[The Meme Team🏳️‍🌈]

[Boyf] Hey🐶 Do you guys wanna come over to my house some time Christmas Eve Of day?

[MicrosoftNerd] Of course.

Virgil looked up. "Do you wanna come with me to Patton's later in the week, closer to Christmas?"

"Yeah why not?" Remy replied, opening his eyes with a smile still stuck on his face.

"Cool," He said, typing a reply quickly.

[StressedandDepressed] sure can i bring remy?

[Boyf] Of course🐶🐶

[SirSingalot] Yeah I'm down! I don't know where it is though

['Boyf' sent an image on maps]

[SirSingalot] Ok cool

[Boyf] Yay🐶🐶🐶🐶

[StressedandDepressed] cya their then

[MicrosoftNerd] *there.

[StressedandDepressed] rite then grammar police

[MicrosoftNerd] *Right.

[Boyf] 😂🐶

[StressedandDepressed] ok bye

[SirSingalot] Bye

[Boyf] 👋👋🐶🐶

[MicrosoftNerd] Goodbye.

———————————————
Virgil's breath rose in clouds in front of his face as he and Remy walked the short distance to Patton's house.

It was late Christmas Day and there was a chill in the air. The streets where quiet save the occasional shrill bird call and the sound of their footsteps ringing out on the tarmac.

When they got to the house, Remy all but jumped up the few steps to the door with Virgil a few paces behind him. He knocked on the door and took a step back. It didn't take long for Patton to fling the door open and usher them inside.

"Hi!" He said excitedly, his face flushed. He was wearing a Santa hat and a hugely oversized grey cat jumper.

"Hey Pat!" Virgil said, leaning against the wall with his hands still in his pockets. "This is Remy,"

Remy grinned and waved, "Hey girl!"

"Hi!" Patton said, still with the same excited tone and expression. "Logan and Roman are in my room. C'mon!" With that he turned and darted upstairs.

"Wow...he is exactly like Emile," Remy said with amusement as they followed the hyper boy up the stairs.

Virgil laughed. "We need to introduce them sometime,"

"That would be...chaotic to say the least,"

They walked into Patton's room and were greeted by Roman sitting cross legged on the bed, Logan in an arm chair with a book in his hands and Patton on the floor leaning against his knees.

"Hey guys," Virgil said. "This is Remy,"

Remy waved again and sat on the end of the bed.

There was a chorus of hello-s during which Virgil went and dropped down on the bed next to Roman and cautiously rested his head on his shoulder.

"Hey," The redhead said softly.

"Do you wanna watch a movie?" Patton asked.

"Yeah. What movie?" Remy said.

Patton thought for a second. "I have Home Alone I think? "

"The Nightmare Before Christmas!" Virgil said and Roman voiced his agreement.

"Ok Ok The Nightmare before Christmas," Patton laughed. He stood up and rifled through a box before giving up and putting it on on Netflix.

(I know you can't get it on Netflix, at least not in N. Ireland let me have creative liberty)

Patton turned of the lights before taking Logan's book from his hands and curling up on his lap with his head against his chest.

The five boys sat in almost complete silence, except for Roman, who insisted on singing every part of every song. Loudly. And dramatically. He almost smacked Remy in the face a few times and succeeded once while gesturing like a lunatic, causing him to break into infectious laughter that even Logan couldn't avoid.

After the movie ended they sat and talked about anything under the sun, their chatter punctuated by occasional fits of giggles, mainly from Patton or Roman.

Virgil was still leaning against the latter, who had at some point managed to get his arm around the smaller boy at some point during the movie; he didn't remember when. His head was still on his shoulder and he could feel it moving with the steady rise and fall of his chest.

Virgil looked around at the people surrounding him and felt unrelenting happy. Patton was almost asleep, leaning against Logan as the boy ran his hand though his hair and Remy was taking to Roman. He was surrounded by people who wanted and cared for him and couldn't stop a smile from creeping across his face as the light outside the window faded. Never in his life bad he felt so happy and safe and wanted. It was...amazing.

Little did he know how short a time it was to last...

—————————————————

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays! I haven't got much to say here except I hope you have a great holiday and be prepared for angst

Later🤟🏻