If I Could

"Virgil? Virgil!"

Virgil started, snapping his head up and looking around him. He was sitting in his usual seat in the back of English, idly doodling on the back of his book and found that almost all of the class as well as the teacher were looking at him. Shit.

"Hm?" He cocked his head slightly, trying to hide the stress he was feeling.

"Did you hear what I asked?" the teacher inquired, with an I-already-know-the-answer face.

He shook his head.

"Why am I not surprised?"

Virgil didn't say anything because frankly he couldn't care less.

The teacher sighed and, to his relief, turned back to the board and continued talking without repeating the question.

Virgil kicked his heels and checked the time. 10 minutes until lunch. Thank god. He thought he might go insane if he spent much longer listening to his classmates read Romeo and Juliet in an expressionless customer service voice. 
(I'm salty cuz that's what I have to sit through in English with a homophobic teacher)

When the bell finally rang he quickly shoved his books haphazardly into his bag and dashed out of the room to wait for Logan in the corridor. He always took an age when leaving because their teacher always had something to say to him about the lesson or some essay he had written. When Logan did finally leave the class the two of them set of down the corridor to find Patton, who had maths the last two periods.

They eventually made it to the canteen with no sign of him. That is, until he seemed to appear behind Logan from nowhere, wrapping his arms around. Logan looked startled for a split second before righting himself.

"Hello Patton,"

Patton  mock pouted, "Were you not scared,"

Logan shook his head and smiled as Virgil raised an eyebrow at him.

"Aw," Patton said, walking ahead of them, "Well, c'mon! Let's go get food!"

"He almost have me a heart attack," Logan muttered to Virgil, who probably cracked a rib in an effort to not laugh.

After the three of them had gotten lunch they found a table in the corner and sat down.

"So, how was English?" Patton asked

"Very interesting actually. We went through the opening scenes of Romeo and Juliet and discussed the way the characters are portrayed,"

Patton looked over at Virgil.

"I doodled," he stated simply.

Patton laughed, "Of course you did,"

They continued talking until Virgil remembered that he had to give in a three week late maths homework.

"Aw shite," he said standing up, "I've gotta go give in that homework for maths,"

"Oh, would you like us to accompany you?" Logan inquired.

Virgil shook his head. "Thanks but I'll be fine. See you later,"

"Bye," Patton and Logan said simultaneously and laughed.

Virgil shouldered his bag and weaved through the students milling about in the canteen, trying hard to remain unseen (the posters closer know what does it say??).
He checked his watch again. 1:30. He had plenty of time to get to maths and then back down to IT before the end of lunch.

By the time he made it to the corridor by maths it was completely void of students, save the occasional person returning from the bathroom. He intended to go straight to the class, drop the homework off and leave but he was distracted by the soft sound if someone...singing?
Intrigued, he followed the voice until he ended up outside the drama suite. The singing was louder now and he recognised it as Roman. Virgil inched the door open slightly and looked around.

Roman was leaning against a desk, alone and facing away from the door with a lyric covered sheet of paper in his hand. Virgil rested his weight against the door frame and listened to him. He had never realised Roman could sing so well. He had an amazing voice.

(OMFG I LOOKED AWAY FROM MY SCREEN BUT KEPT TYPING, MADE A TYPO AND VOICE AUTOCORRECTED TO BOOBS IM DYING HELP ME)

If I could tell her,
Tell her everything I see,
If I could tell her,
How she's everything to me,

But we're a million worlds apart, and I don't know how I would even start,

Virgil blinked as he registered the words. Fuck they hit home to him. How did goddamn song lyrics sum up his emotions so well? How does that happen?
He sighed and went to slip out of the door when his hoodie sleeve got caught on the handle and made a loud, obnoxious noise as it pulled it back, cause of course it did.

Fucking hell, this should be fun.

————————————————
Hey! Just some context; Roman is singing If I could Tell Her cause the musical they're are doing in the book is DEH

There's a reason I chose that musical (other than its one of my favourites) so if you listened to it you might know why...

That's all for now!

Later🤟🏻