Breaking

Tears were streaming down Virgil's face, blurring his vision but he did nothing to wipe them away as he ran. He didn't know where he was going but he knew he had to get away from the courtroom. He finally came to a stop in a deserted looking corridor roughly on the other side of the building. There was a small inlet with a door which he collapsed into. From this position he was hidden from the eyes of anyone in the corridor at a glance, but could still see most of his surroundings. Drawing his knees to his chest, he laid his head on them, letting the tears come thick and fast while still keeping an ear out for anyone approaching.

He sat there, trembling and sobbing, for at least 5 minutes, ignoring the repeated buzzing of his phone. He raised his head slightly on hearing a faint voice calling his name. More than one voice. Involuntarily, he shrank further back into the corner, tensing like a coiled spring as the voices grew louder. He recognised Patton, who's voice was now becoming fainter as he walked away from Virgil. That was when he heard footsteps, ringing loud on the polished wooden floor. Virgil wrapped his arms around his knees and tried to ignore the person as best he could. He was still sobbing quietly, his jeans soaked in tears where he was resting his head.

"Virgil?"

He froze and his eyes flickered upwards, taking in the person who was kneeling in front of him. He was shocked to see it was Mr Sanders. What was he doing here? Over the two weeks Virgil had been at his new school he had grown to trust him, as much as he could trust a teacher but he said nothing.

"Virgil I want to help you,"

Virgil still remained silent, although he glanced up once more. Mr Sanders face was a mask of genuine concern, his features creased with concern.

"I-I'm s-sorry..." He said in a chocked whisper.

"There is nothing to be sorry for. It isn't your fault,"

Virgil wanted to believe him but doubt still coursed through him. He had yelled and swore and ran away. Of course it was his fault. No it wasn't. He couldn't help getting upset. It was his fathers fault. All of these contradicting thoughts swirled in his head, making him fell physically sick. He let out an involuntary whimper, which he quickly stifled in the hope Mr Sanders wouldn't hear.

"Virgil, please talk to me or come and talk to someone else," His voice was pleading and filled with concern.

Virgil thought for a second before coming to a decision. He removed his arms from his knees and sat up to face Mr Sanders, still doing nothing about his tear stained face.

"I'm s-scared..." he whispered.

"Of what?"

"I-I d-don't ha-have anyw-where to g-go a-and I don't w-want to g-go I-into c-care," Virgil broke down sobbing again, all of his fears washing over him in an overwhelming tidal wave of uncertainty.

"Oh Virgil..." Mr Sanders said softly, "You won't have to, we'll figure something out,"

The words weren't particularly reassuring but Virgil was spared from replying by Patton's frantic voice calling for him.

"He's over here," Mr Sanders called.

Patton appeared a moment later. Swooping down, he enveloped Virgil in a crushing embrace, which Virgil gratefully returned. He buried his head in Patton's shoulder, still sobbing, but less now. Patton held him until he had stopped crying altogether, whispering soothing nonsense to him.

Virgil eventually sat up, wiping his eyes with his sleeve. "I'm o-ok..." he said. Taking a deep breath, he stood up on shaking legs with Patton's reassuring arm still around his shoulder.

"C'mon," Mr Sanders said, "We can go and wait outside the courtroom,"

Virgil nodded and the three of them set off, the still shaking boys uneven breathing and three sets of footsteps on wooden planks being the only audible sounds.

———————————————————

Bit of a short chapter so sorry! I'm in the mood to write so I'll probably get another one out today or tomorrow.

I couldn't figure out how to continue this one so starting a new chapter is the easiest course of action.

Later🤟🏻