R. Ross - The Ghost Of You

another avengers au

where in you and ryan are a part of the avengers, him being captain america and you being the black widow.

- - -

Ever since he was thawed out of the ice that held him for seventy years, Ryan Ross had nothing else in his mind than the love of his life, Peggy Carter. You had been working along side him ever since your first mission and throughout the entirety of being together, you developed feelings for the Captain himself. You loved every inch of him, whatever he lacked, you always made up.

But, he still was in love with Peggy and nothing could move his heart, and that hurt you the most. You had to wake up everyday to a reality wherein Ryan, the only man you ever grew soft for, does not return the feelings you had for him.

Everyone was called to the conference room, which everybody obliged, you trailed behind Spencer, otherwise known as Hawkeye, keeping your gaze on the porcelain floor. As you got inside, you sat besides Iron Man–Pete Wentz, and intently watched the holographic screen as it lit up in the center of the table.

"Avengers," Director Way greeted, his red hair slicked back and his hands behind his back. "There is a threat within the city. Dallon has returned." The mention of Dallon's name senr shivers down your spine. He was the God of Mischief, Brendon's adoptive brother, and the one who almost took you back to Jotun. He always thought you were the perfect queen for him to rule against the Nine Realms, but you fought against that.

"He is stronger now, more powerful than before and he is planning on destroying the Avengers," Director Way said, looking around the room. Your gaze fell on your lap and your breathing was unsteady. Dallon was a threat and you could lose the only family you had–you could lose Ryan. "You all will leave as soon as you can. Suit up, Avengers." And with that, everybody left the room to prepare.

"Wait, Y/n!" You heard someone calling you out. You stopped your tracks, looking over your shoulder to see Ryan running towards you. "You, uhm, take care, okay?" It was a friendly gesture; something the both of you did when you were about to deploy off to a mission but today, it somehow felt heavy for you. You smiled and nodded, "You too, Cap."

- - -

"Eyes on the princess, locked in." Pete spoke through the comms that was in your ear. You pressed your back against the wall as chaos kept brewing around you. Jon, the Hulk, was hitting off aliens as Brendon covered for him, swinging his hammer back and forth. You peaked through the wall, seeing Dallon standing a few meters away from where you hid. He held the scepter in his other hand, waving it around as the blue stone glowed vibrantly.

"Whenever you're ready, Widow." Ryan spoke softly into your earpiece. You were about to jump out when Dallon began shouting.

"Bring me Y/n and I'll surrender to your will! All I need is my queen!"

You looked at your hands, seeing how the badly shook as you held your handgun within them. "No, do not let him near her!" Ryan shouted, swinging his shield towards an alien. Pete was blasting his repulsor at Dallon, together with Spencer, who aimed his arrows at him.

You were silent; everything around you seemed to dim out and you were the only one left. If you didn't do your task, it would lead to mass destructions and you couldn't let that happen. You stood up straight as you heard Ryan's heavy footsteps running towards Dallon.

Dallon looked at Ryan, aiming his specter at the Captain but then–

"I'm here, Dallon!"

Ryan felt his heart drop down to his stomach as you walked towards Dallon, throwing your gun away from you. A sinister smile appeared on his lips as he made his way towards you. "No!" Ryan shouted, throwing his shield at Dallon, making the God fall down. Ryan ran to you, grabbing you by the shoulders with his eyes brimming with tears.

"You can't, Y/n! You can't leave me! I- I love you!"

You smiled weakly and shook your head, "Cap, don't make this any harder for me. We both know that Peggy is still in here." You tapped on top of his heart and he looked at you, a broken and pained expression across his dirt-covered face. You placed your hand on his cheek, caressing it one last time, "You owe her a dance, remember? I can't let Dallon destroy everything without you holding her in your arms one last time."

Ryan was frozen, he couldn't move nor could he stop you. You pulled away from his hands and walked towards Dallon, who was stretching his hand out for you to grab.

"Captain! Stop him!" Pete's voice was muffled as Ryan watched you reach out to Dallon's hand. You looked back at Ryan, tears running down your cheeks and a smile on your lips.

"It's okay. I'm okay." You mouthed out and Ryan felt his heart being ripped out of his chest as Dallon wrapped his arm around your waist. Dallon stomped on the ground and a portal opened. He dropped the specter and pulled you in it.

The gate closed and everything was dead silent. Ryan dropped to the floor on his knees as he watched the stone from the specter glow vibrantly before dying out of light. Pete landed besides the grieving Captain and sighed as Ryan grabbed the specter, giving it to him with a frown on his face.

"I lost her, Pete."

"She saved the world, Cap. She did for you."

"And that fucking sucks. Because of me, I might not see her again."