Chapter : Eight

Chapter : 8

Rishav's POV

I was tapping my foot impatiently on the wooden floor of the gym as I peered up at the ivory ceiling with deep breaths. Keep your calm, they'll soon announce your name like every other year's championship, I told myself nervously. I was never this anxious on the day of the player  list's declaration; but knowing that this was the last of my opportunities to prove myself was a nerve-wreaking thought.

"Don't worry, you'll be there. I'm sure," Ravi told me as he smacked my back in encouragement.

I passed a small smile to him. There were a whole bunch of boys waiting in here to hear about the selection results. Silence draped the room in it's arms when Mr. Davis strolled into the gym with a list in his hand. He was the school's coach.

"Okay, let's get to the point," he said while his hands straightened out the lightly creased papers in his possession.

"Shivam Singh, Farhan Ali, Ravi Sharma, and Saurav Patel." Mr. Davis ended abruptly, glancing up at our expectant faces.

I waited with a breath on hold. I knew the list wasn't complete since more names were still left to be announced. I was happy for Ravi who had made it to the championship but at the same time I was feeling uneasy with the thought of being left out of this.

"These are the names I have received for now. We'll announce the rest of the names by the end of today's classes," the coach said, tucking the paper into his shirt's pocket.

Are you serious? WTF.

I AM DYING OUT HERE. HELLO?

Ravi and Kabir stood up from the seats and bro hugged. When they noticed I hadn't joined them, they pulled me up with force and exchanged a look. I knew they were up to something fishy.

The moment Mr. Davis left the gym, both the boys took position. Ravi grabbed my legs and Kabir held my torso. Without giving me any time to react, Kabir pulled me up, making me sit on Ravi's strong shoulders.

"What the hell, guys!?" I yelped helplessly as Ravi carried me that way, on his shoulders, all the way out to the halls.

Students turned their heads to look at us and I felt fairly uncomfortable. I never liked being the center of attention and here was Ravi, carrying me like a kid on his shoulders.

"And give a cheer for The Rishav Neil!! The best of the best in the history of Indian Cricket! The one who made us win more than sixty matches in Inter School League!" Ravi yelled with enthusiasm at the top of his lungs.

Within no time the entire hall was hooting and cheering, deafening applauds piercing through the silence like thunders, reverberating off the walls and floor. A smile graced my lips and I shook my head warmly as a thought crossed my mind, where would I ever find friends like Ravi and Kabir?

"Okay, I'll be putting you down now. You are pretty heavy for a lean guy," Ravi huffed.

I laughed as he slowly lowered me. At a point, my eyes met with a certain pair of brown ones. Ananya was watching us from afar, standing adjacent a corner, her arms were wrapped around a few Economics books, and she had a frown on her face as if she disapproved of what Ravi did.

I smirked at her and stuck my tongue out at her to tell her I didn't care of what she approved of and what not. Her eyes widened at my response and soon enough she narrowed her piercing gaze with fury at me. My smirk only widened as she turned on her heel and made her way to the class, her dark brown tresses bouncing around as she stormed away.