Chapter : Fifty Three

Chapter : 53

Ananya's POV

"You know hitting someone on their back so hard when the person is driving is bad." Rishav said as I punched his back for the fifth time since we started off from the park.

I could see his back tense up and a wince on his face through the side view mirror of the Thunderbird.

"You deserve it." I said and punched him once more as he brought the bike to a halt at a crossing where the traffic light was red. Some of the neighboring drivers gave a look of sympathy to Rishav which made me even more mad. I'm not the kind of girlfriend who dominates her boyfriend for silly things people! I wanted to yell out but kept my calm.

Crossing my arms, I looked away.

"Okay, why exactly do I deserve the punches?" Rishav asked me as he looked at my reflection in the mirror.

"First, you're not wearing a helmet." I told him.

"So are you." He said.

"But you're responsible to bring an extra helmet for me!" I argued.

"That's not the point anyway, let's not get carried away." He said.

"Why did you have to intervene between me and Dinesh? I was doing fine handling him." I huffed.

Honestly, I felt bad for Dinesh. Though he had commented on my dress up, I really didn't see him as a bad guy. I was gonna tell him about my relationship status anyway when Rishav arrived. That's the actual reason why I had agreed to go on this 'date' with him. But the way Rishav 'handled' it, I'm sure there is some drama awaiting me at home now.

"Did you not see how he behaved? What do you expect me to do? Stand by with a smile?" Rishav countered back.

I looked away. Not wanting to answer.

"And stop acting like you disapprove of my actions. You were smiling like a lovesick cat when I brought you with me." Rishav said and smirked as he started driving when the light turned green.

Well, now I was looking red. Did he really see that smile? Duh.

"I was smiling because it was... I..." I fumbled for an excuse.

"Stop trying Ananya Sharma." Rishav said and laughed as he drove the bike into a by lane.

"You're right." I gave up and hugged his back. I felt him tense up suddenly. I'm sure he was thrown off guard. The next moment he relaxed and drove the bike into the DS Stadium.

***

Rishav's POV

Walking into the corridor of the stadium gallery, I spotted Ravi, Saqib and the other two boys of St.Louis were talking and walking around in the open field. I felt my jaw clench in anger when u noticed Ravi put a hand on that boy's shoulder and laughed like they could be good friends. I had an urge to spill out that boy's little row with me regarding Ananya to Ravi. How I'd love to see my best friend bash that idiot. But I had second thoughts and kept the matter to myself.

"You ready?" Ananya asked me.

"I turned to look into her brown eyes. They had all the encouragement and positivity that I needed. Smiling, I nodded and kissed her cheek swiftly before turning and descending the open stairway, entering into the huge field.

Damn, I told myself. I have been to this stadium many a times before but never got to have the perspective of a player standing on the pitch. From up there in the gallery, the field looks kinda small but once you stand where I was, you'd know what I mean.

"Hey man." Ravi said and he bro hugged me.

I looked at that boy from St.Louis with hostile eyes. That bruise on his nose was still as evident and fresh. I couldn't help but smirk at his scowl.

"Hello boys." A thick voice reached us five and we turned to face a tall man.

He was dressed in a navy blue blazer and white shirt tucked with precision and matched with a navy blue trousers. His had his grey hair brushed back neatly. The man looked somewhere around his mid fifties.

Now this guy looks like a selector. I said to myself.

"Hey future cricketers, what's up." Kiran said with a wide grin and he was being accompanied by two more men. The other two looked a few years older than Kiran but younger than the grey haired man. The grey haired man gave a sharp look at Kiran for being so informal and he immediately lost his grin.

"I know you have met Kiran already. I'm Derek Shane, Head of the Board of Selectors." The grey haired man said looking at us in his bold voice.

"This is Dev Singh" Kiran said and gestured towards the bearded guy. Dev had a friendly smile unlike Derek.

"And this is Rana Roy." Kiran then gestured towards the second guy.

Rana was relatively lean and tall with his eyes covered by an expensive sunglass and hair tied back into a little ponytail at the back. I assumed he was the more conscious one when it came to looks.

"So show them what you've got boys." Kiran said, unable to maintain a firm tone and thereby earning another glare from Derek.

"Dev, call in the staff." Derek told the bearded guy who nodded and made his way out of the field.

"Let's get you all introduced till Dev arrives." Kiran suggested to cut the dead silence.

We all gave our introductions quiet formally as if it were some sort of job interview. I swear I never saw Ravi this serious.

"Madhav Desai." The boy from St.Louis introduced himself. I realized that despite my hatred towards him, I hadn't even tried to know what his name was.

The other boy from St.Louis was Vijay Singhania. He was taller than Madhav and had golden brown hair like Kabir. Talking of Kabir, why isn't that moron here to cheer for me and Ravi? I know I didn't invite him but I'm sure Ravi did.

By the time the introductions were over, we took notice of a machine with a long nuzzle and huge body being strolled out towards the pitch which was surrounded by netting, meant for batting practice.  I had seen such equipment before. It was to throw the ball at the batsman at high speed and to test whether the player would be able to hit a shot or not.

"Go on, take a bat and cricket gear now." Kiran told us and we nodded and made our way into the changing room.

"Did you call Kabir to come?" I asked Ravi as I finished wearing the leg guards and picked up the helmet and bat.

"I did." Ravi said as he swung his arm back and forth with the bat, warming up.

"Then where the hell is he?" I asked with a frown and walked out of the room with him.

"He's busy preparing for the board examinations. I didn't mind his refusal because that's his priority anyway." Ravi shrugged and walked ahead.

Oh yeah, the Board Examinations. I totally forgot that they are coming. But there's still one and a half months for it, right? Kabir is one heck of a student. Man.

Reentering the field, I and Ravi found Saqib on the pitch surrounded by the nets. He held the bat nervously and swung it when the ball was released. He missed real bad and the ball hit the stumps directly, scoring a wicket out.

"He's a bowler. How did they expect him to do batting?" Ravi scoffed.

Kiran looked at us from the distance and gestured us to come over for the tests.

Taking a deep breath, I shot a glance at Ananya sitting in the gallery and walked towards them.