Chapter : Seventeen

Chapter : 17

Rishav's POV

Did I speak too harshly to her?

This was the only thought that occupied my head from the moment she walked out of the class.

I was gazing at that notebook which Ananya had brought back to me. She had done it all but... why? We weren't even on good terms with all the quarrels and whatever. Was she trying to reach out to me? All I did was insult her efforts.

I tried and ignored that thought for about the first ten minutes after she left. But when Ananya didn't show up to attend the first period, I started to feel a weird feeling. I couldn't exactly say what it was but it was kind of a heavy feeling deep in my chest. Was this guilt? But I have never felt guilty of my actions in the past. Ever.

Maybe that slight break in her voice or that expression of hurt on her face made a lasting impact on me.

Mrs Arora walked into the class and setled on her seat. She looked at me like a hawk but I was quite unfazed by it. Sighing, I picked up the notebook Ananya had brought for me and shoved it into my bag. Grabbing the copy I had written the summary in, I walked over to the teacher and submitted it to her. I don't care if the sentences are framed incorrectly or if I have written crap. What matters is that I did it on my own.

I respect what Ananya did but this didn't mean I was going to take credit for something she had prepared.

The moment the period ended, I dashed out of the class. I just wanted to check on her because a nagging voice in my head had kept me going crazy. I wanted to make sure she was fine. Why so? Even I don't know.

Upon reaching the corridor, I took notice of a small crowd gathered near a few lockers. I could hear the shrill voices of girls cursing. Fiona walked over to me out of the crowd when she noticed me.

"What's going on?" I asked her.

"It's Ananya. The three girls - Kavya, Priya and Safeena - have had been nagging Ananya ever since the first period and now I guess she had enough of it. So she's having a face off," Fiona explained to me.

My eyebrows shot up. To say I was surprised would be an understatement actually. Ananya was too small to take on three girls together.

"Oh it's all verbal, nothing like punching or kicking around." Fiona waved off laughing.

I nodded and pushed through the crowd to take a look. Ananya was on fire with the constant eye contact with Kavya, the tall blonde. I guess I had already missed most of the part of this face off because Kavya was silently glaring back at Ananya with fury. Ananya did have the power to shut one of the school's most popular girls.

When Kavya took a step towards Ananya in a threatening manner, all the brunette did was stood her ground, her head held high and a sense of challenge in her brown eyes. I knew it wasn't going to end well if nobody interrupted. The last time Kavya was in a fight with a girl, it had ended in slaps and profanities. I marched quick strides and stood between both the girls, interrupting them.

Facing my back to Ananya, I peered at Kavya with an impassive look. My face held almost no expression and Kavya was sorta perplexed by my sudden arrival. She stumbled a step back and the other two girls glanced at us curiously.

I took a step back and turned to face Ananya. Taking her hand in mine, I led her out of the crowd. Her brows were knitted together and lips were dead set on a frown, a confused expression pooled her eyes. I didn't leave her hand until we reached the open lawns of the campus, fairly away from those preying eyes of the crowding mass of students.

"What was that? Do you boys always have to leap in and show all of your dominance to impress girls?" Ananya asked, narrowing her eyes at me.

"Really? That's what you think I was doing back there?" I asked, somewhat amused at her accusations.

"Uh-huh," She said and looked away, crossing her arms.

"Getting into quarrels with those popular girls is not a very smart idea, Ananya. Those girls are dumb enough to think of ways of revenge," I spoke.

"Says the one who himself is among the most popular guys on campus," Ananya muttered and rolled her eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes on me," I said flatly and turned my eyes to my phone. Ravi was texting me to ask where had I disappeared and if I had seen Ananya anywhere.

"Don't jump into my issues then," Ananya snapped back and started strutting off towards the school building.

"Whatever," I responded with a shrug and followed her while I replied to Ravi.