Chapter : Forty Four

Chapter : 44

Ananya's POV

Mr.Barua flipped through the pages of my assignment with an impressed look. I smiled internally, happy that he was satisfied with the work. Closing the assignment, he pushed it aside on the table and looked up at me with a smile.

"Well done, Ms.Sharma. I have to say that you and your brother are poles apart when it comes to submitting the assignments on time." He said.

I just nodded, not sure if I should be happy about the complement or frown about the comparison.

"You may leave. And pay attention in my class from the next time." He said and resumed to the book that he was reading.

Walking out of the staff room, I made my way to the music room. There was a programme going on in the music room dedicated to unity through music. I sprinted my way to the room, not wanting to turn up late.

Well, that and because I wanted to listen to Ravi sing. He's like the best singer I have ever heard but I don't understand why he keeps the trait hidden. As far as the rumors go, nobody in DPS has heard him sing. I'm sure it'll be a grand surprise for everyone.

Ravi wasn't planning on singing at any occasion in school but when the new teacher Ms.Ray, who is  apparently Ravi's latest major crush, asked him to perform, he just nodded with a smile. Only now that the reality has struck him, he is having second thoughts.

Reaching the music room, I enter to find a packed up hall. Almost half the school had showed up to attend the programme. I could even spot a few teachers in here including Ms.Ray. The air in the hall was filled with the melodious music of the guitar.

For a second I thought it was Rishav playing but my heart deflated a little when I noticed that it was Fiona playing on stage.

Ravi must've been backstage, preparing for his performance. My eyes scanned for Rishav but his green eyes were nowhere.

"Looking for someone?" His voice echoed in my ear.

I turned to find him standing behind me with a small smile.

"Yeah, I think I found him." I said with a smile and took his hand in mine, looking for vacant seats.

Rishav left me confused when he pulled his hand out of mine and walked a step ahead of me, taking the lead towards a few vacant seats.

I frowned at his actions. Following him, I settled down beside him. Still wondering why he acted that way, I turned to look at him.

"Did you forget there are teachers in here?" He asked, looking at Fiona onstage as she played.

"Teachers? I believe you're afraid that Ravi will find out about us." I said boldly.

He turned to face me in the dark room. His green eyes flashed the sense of getting caught. Rishav's scars were starting to slowly fade away and his arm was now better than before.

"Am I not right?" I asked.

Rishav sighed.

"Maybe you're right. But you're wrong on one thing." He said.

"About what?" I asked.

"I'm not afraid that he'll find out about us. I'm just... You know... I don't know how to break the news to him without raising his BP. He's really protective when it comes to you." Rishav said.

"Hold on, Ravi is protective towards me? When did that miracle happen?" I asked with sarcasm.

"No, really. He cares a lot about you. More than he does for anybody else. I've seen it inside him Ananya." Rishav persisted.

The information made me feel happiness inside. Ravi had always been busy with his own life and plans. He never sat beside me to talk about random stuff or never asked me how I was doing the way siblings would do. I know I have been living away from him but in those circumstances too, he never called me to ask if I was okay. It was always dad who reached out to me.

"Everything okay?" Rishav asked, bringing me out of my trance.

"Yeah," I said with a smile.

"Fiona's playing really well." I complemented after a while.

"After all, I taught her that composition. What do you expect?" Rishav said, overconfidence dripping off his voice.

I rolled my eyes. So I ended up complementing Rishav through Fiona.

"But she's the one playing. It's her talent." I pointed out.

"But the hard work's all mine! You can't give her all the credit." Rishav argued like a little kid.

"I think I would." I said and grinned at him. It really annoyed him, I'm sure.

"Um...guys," Kabir's voice interrupted us.

We both turned to face the seat behind Rishav where Kabir was seated.

"Oh, hey man." Rishav said.

"Shut up now the both of you. Almost every teacher in here is smiling at you two. Do you even realize that?" Kabir whispered.

My eyes widened with horror. Turning my eyes around me, I realized it was true. Almost all teachers were smiling at us that knowing smile. I turned Crimson and dropped my head low, covering my face.

"I hate you." I whispered to Rishav.

"I love you." Rishav whispered back, his eyes trained on the stage.

I looked up at him. Those three words made my heart skip a beat. This was the first time Rishav had said that to me and I felt light headed as the words kept echoing in my mind.

Kabir went into a coughing fit behind us. I'm sure he heard the words too.