Chapter : Sixty Five

Chapter : 65

Ananya's POV

The entire wedding was a blast! It was all so different than the ones that I had attended that I really fell in love with the events and rituals. Well, on a sad note it was all coming to an end now as the cars returned from the bride's residence. During the kanyadaan everybody was in tears as Neha walked away from her home with her husband. I too felt overwhelmed by all of it. I really don't know why they use the word 'kanyadaan' to bid away the daughter. The word means to 'donate' away the daughter. She isn't some lifeless object that you will send her away with the groom's family.

"Let's get going." Rishav whispered to me and tugged at my hand.

I realized that the bride and groom had already got into their car while I was zoning out in my thoughts. Nodding, I made it to the other car meant to take me, Rishav, Ravi, Kabir and Naina.

"Where's Ravi?" Kabir asked as he sat on the driver's seat and Rishav and I settled down in the back seat with Naina on the passenger seat beside Kabir.

"I'm coming!" Ravi's voice reached us and I already sensed the difference. He was drunk.

"Pray for you brother." Rishav whispered to me while I shook my head in disappointment.

Ravi reached our car and settled down beside me. I was sandwiched in between the two guys that I loved the most in the world. Thank God Ravi wasn't wasted too much. He wasn't stinking of alcohol. I guess he took two drinks at most before leaving.

"Naina, you're looking really pretty today." Ravi spoke looking at her who was seated in front of him.

Naina smiled in a shy manner and looked away out of the window as Kabir started driving.

I guess the silence in the car and the peace that we got after hours of ceremonies created an affect in the confined space. Ravi reached out and stroked Naina's hair slowly. I could see her smiling from where I was sitting. Rishav brought my attention to him as he took my hand in his and pecked a kiss on the back of my hand. Entwining our fingers, he leaned down to place his head on my shoulder. He too was exhausted.

"Um... Guys? There's a single person driving this car if you all have forgotten. You all don't have to make me realize my relationship status." Kabir spoke as he drove and we all laughed out at his polite protest to the romantic atmosphere in the car.

***

"Take care! Bye." I waved as Kabir started the car and drove out of our residence.

I smiled and blew a kiss at Rishav who looked at me with a grin from the back seat.

"Come on brother." I said and wrapped my arms around Ravi's right hand as we walked towards our home.

It was late night and I had the spare key to our door since I knew it'd take a long time for the wedding to get over. I slowly unlocked the door and walked in with Ravi beside me. Knowing that dad and the servants must be asleep, I and Ravi tip toed upstairs.

Ravi entered his room and I was about to walk away into mine when I stopped on my tracks as I heard him call my name. Entering Ravi's room I looked at his figure sitting on the bed.

"Yes bro?" I asked.

"I wanted to tell you something." Ravi said and patted the space beside him on the bed.

I silently walked in and settled down on the bed. Though I was exhausted, curiosity got the better half. It was all very unusual for my brother to talk to me like this so it got me thinking as to what was so important at this hour of the night.

"I'm sorry." Ravi said.

"What?" I asked, unable to understand why he apologized.

"I'm your brother but... I don't think I ever did anything to prove myself worthy of it." Ravi spoke looking down at his hands.

"Ravi you should get some sleep." I said trying to stop him.

"I was never there when you needed me and yet you never hated me. I don't deserve a sister like you. I was a jerk." Ravi said and took a breath, trying to stay composed.

"The keyword being 'was'. You've changed a lot Ravi, stop blaming yourself." I tried.

Honestly, it felt good to hear all this from my brother who had been so insensitive and cold towards me from a very young age.

"You've always wondered as to why I hate Visag so much. Well, it's because that place took you away from me." Ravi said and looked up at me with glossy eyes. I couldn't believe my ears as I registered his words.

"I never paid you any attention when you were around. But once you moved away, I realized how much you meant to me. It all felt so lonely in here without you. Dad used to be out most of the time while I'd be wandering about the house, all alone." Ravi further spoke.

"Ravi..." I started but felt at a loss of words.

Sometimes, actions justify emotions better than words do. Reaching out, I enveloped my brother in a hug. He returned the hug and slowly sobbed at my shoulder. I had never expected to see Ravi so weak and vulnerable. Well, I guess he was afraid of showing what he felt and thought. My perceptions towards him had changed long back when I returned back to Delhi but now, I'm sure our bond had been strengthened.

"I love you Ananya. I really do." Ravi spoke, still hugging me in his arms.