Chapter : Forty Nine

Chapter : 49

Rishav's POV

Pushing the glass paneled door open, I exchanged a glance with Ravi and Saqib and entered the air conditioned room. I heard Ravi take a satisfactory breath as the cool air welcomed us.

We three stood facing a man who was standing by his desk, his back towards us as he talked to someone over the phone.

"I know... But they'll be worth your time. I promise." He said over phone.

"Yeah, that'll be great! Thanks Varun." The man said and put the receiver down on the desk and took a deep breath.

"Um...Excuse us for a moment, sir. I think you wanted to meet us?" Ravi spoke, and the man turned to face us.

I was somewhat confused. It was a man probably in his mid twenties. Somewhere around Sameer's age. He didn't look like a selector at all. I had been expecting someone more aged, you know. He was dressed in a black T-shirt and jeans and had light beard on his face, probably an attempt to look older than he actually is.

"Ah, yes. You three are from DPS. Right?" He asked with a smile.

We nodded a yes.

"Well, I won't beat around the bush. You see, I had come to see the semifinals and I wasn't planning on picking any particular kids over here but the way you three play... It just got me so excited that I couldn't wait for the finals to be over. I don't care if your team wins or doesn't. I wanna see you three playing for the state. Do you take my offer?"

The guy spoke so fast that it took us three a few seconds to digest that all up. We looked at one another, as if asking silently whether it's really happening.

"Oh, I didn't even introduce myself. The name's Kiran Raj." The guys said and smiled.

I heard Ravi stifle a snicker behind his face. He coughed to cover it up. I'm sure my best friend found the name 'Kiran' quite feminine for a man.

"So? How's the offer?" He asked again.

"It's a definite yes!" Saqib broke the silence and Kiran broke into a lively grin.

"I've got a question." I voiced my words and all three pairs of eyes turned to look at me. Ravi had a frown as if thinking 'what question do you have now when we've been selected for the state team?!'

I looked at Kiran with a blank face as he tried and failed to read my expression.

"Go on." Kiran said.

"How are we three selected for the state team just like that? There are thousands of Delhi boys trying to be a part of this and you're telling me that I've made it just by impressing you through a match? How come there's no objection from the higher authorities. Don't you think it'd be unfair for all the other boys out there?" I spoke in a breath.

Both Ravi and Saqib looked at me with their jaws hung low in disbelief. There were two reasons, one: I never spoke so much and two: I had probably blown our chance of getting into the team.

Kiran looked at me with a raised eyebrow and smiled.

"I thought you had just one question. But it's okay to have doubts over this." Kiran said.

"So you're gonna explain this?" I asked and pushed my questions.

"Well, I've not said that your place has been guaranteed in the team. I'm giving you a chance to play in front of the higher authorities so that they can observe and decide. I'm more than sure that every one of you are gonna make it. As far as you're thinking about objections, well, the call I was on just a few moments ago has settled that all up." Kiran too spoke in a breath.

Ravi and Saqib left a breath they had been holding out of anxiousness. I took a retake over what Kiran said and nodded when satisfied with the answers.

"So I'll see you all on...Sunday?" Kiran asked us.

"For what?" Ravi asked.

"To get y'all introduced to the board of selectors...They'll want to take a look at your moves before any conclusions are made." Kiran explained.

"Yeah, sure." Saqib said and shook hands with Kiran. Ravi followed up with a handshake and walked out of the room with Saqib as I reached out a hand and Kiran shook it with a smile.

"I like your ways of talk, kid." Kiran said to me

I couldn't help but smirk at the word 'kid'. He's probably four or five years older than me.

"You can put down your contact details to Ketan, the guy who got you here, so that I can let you three know about further details and information. Okay?" Kiran asked.

I nodded as I made my way towards the exit.

"And hey kid, send in the other boys waiting outside, would you please?" Kiran called.

I guess Kiran would be sticking to the word 'kid' to call me by from now on. I really should've introduced myself properly to him before. I nodded and pulled open the glass paneled door only to find the guy who had scored some big hits for St. Louis Boys. It was the boy who had misbehaved with Ananya. There was another guy standing beside him and they both were in similar jerseys of St. Louis.

I didn't spend another second to be wasted while interacting with him. I left the door wide open and gestured for them to enter and walked past them swiftly.

As I reached out the stairway to the exit of the stadium, I was welcomed by a little brown eyed creature who wrapped her arms around my waist in a tight bear hug and it immediately blew away all of my sour mood instantly. I smiled and hugged Ananya back as her feminine smell encased me. I could feel the happiness radiating from her.