Chapter : Thirty Seven

Chapter : 37

Rishav's POV

Things seemed to have gone from slow motion to an extreme speed the moment I returned from IIT Campus. At home, there was an hourly rush of my relatives who arrived with gifts and congratulated my brother.

They were really happy that my brother had become a well established man and was now ready to tie the knot or whatever it is. Most of these relatives ignored me while I kept myself shut in the bedroom with my home assignments.

I'm never too eager to counter their remarks on my career choice. They are just too judgemental and it sometimes messes up with my brain. Mom just used to tell these people that I'm out with friends or any such excuse.

It worked anyway.

At school, I was working damn hard to cope up with the assignments of the previous three days and the fact that Mrs.Arora, the English teacher, had completed two whole chapters in three days wasn't making the situation any better for me.

At the stadium, I was staying back an extra two hours since coach Malhotra thought I had 'gained some weight and needed to get it off' but mostly I think he missed yelling at me. How's anyone supposed to gain weight in three days? And it's not even an issue when we talk about playing cricket!

So basically, by the end of Saturday  I was tired. No, scratch that off, I was dead. Yeah, that's better.

I lied down on my bed with a sigh of relief. Glad that the day ended.

My phone buzzed beside me. I hadn't checked it the whole day. There must've been a ton of crap waiting to be checked.

I picked it up. Most of the messages and images were pure crap as I expected, from Ravi. Apparently, he thought that sending pictures of hot girls at the Bombay beach and asking me which one's better was something I would be eager to talk about.

"I like the blonde one. Wbu?"-Ravi

"Grow up." - Rishav.

Hitting send, I started checking out the other messages. A frown emerged out on my face when I noticed that there were 9 missed calls from Ananya. There was an unread text so I opened it.

"We were supposed to meet at the cafe 2 work on ur assignment. I've been waiting, Rishav."-Ananya.

My jaw hung low. How did I forget that?! I had specifically commanded her to not show up at my home since relatives kept on coming and going and it would have been difficult to work. So we had decided to meet at the cafe at 5:00 in the evening. I checked the time and it was 7:45 Pm.

Now I'm dead.

I jumped out of my bed and packed up the notebooks with the speed of lightning. Combing my hair roughly with the fingers I barged out of my bedroom and entered to living room. I paused for a moment when I noticed seven relatives seated in there, looking at me with confused eyes.

"But Kajal, you told us he was out..." One of the aunts asked my mom while  mom fumbled with her words, trying to make an excuse up.

Dad sighed and shook his head as if to say 'Way to go, son.' and Sameer, my brother, had a death stare targeted on me.

I ignored everyone in the room and walked over to mom.

"Turns out ma didn't notice I had left yet, am going now though." I said and plastered a fake smile on my face. What all I have to do in front of these people.

Mom smiled at me in silent gratitude while I rushed out of the house. My phone buzzed again.  I pulled the device out and checked it as I kick-started the bike. It came to life at the fifth attempt. I sighed in frustration as I noticed it was Ravi calling. That moron can't stay away for even five days without eating my head away.

Of course, I'll never ignore him. Receiving the call and holding the device with one hand I started driving towards the cafe which was about 15 minutes away.

"Oh so you are alive! I thought something happened to you cause you didn't reply to my messages." Ravi rambled on.

"Uh huh, newsflash : I'm very much alive." I said as I drove through the Delhi traffic.

Ravi was talking about all sorts of things he had seen on his trip to Bombay and how his dad has been trying to pull him into the family business. I kept responding with a hum or a 'really?'. In all of this my attention definitely got divided between driving and talking.

I took the turn to enter the cafe's Lane but hit the brakes as hard as I could since I encountered another biker. Unfortunately both the bikes were too fast to halt and we both collapsed. I lost balance and skid to the right of the lane with my bike. There was a large crash and the next thing I heard was a ringing sound.

Disoriented, I pushed myself up to sit over the road. The bike lay a few feet away from me while I felt a burning sensation on my right arm. The ringing sound slowly subsided and was replaced by the shrieks and yells of people around me. I slowly registered the entire crowd gathered around me. Some of them trying to help me up by holding my arms.

"I'm... I'm fine." I said as I tried to get up. I was welcomed by a sharp pain erupting from my right leg which had faced the impact when I skid over the road.

I sat back on the road, grinding my teeth hard as the pain worsened  with even the slightest movement. I took notice of my jeans ripped off at the knees and there was slight patches of blood over my white T-shirt and the road.

That's not good.

"Rishav! You're okay? How did it happen?" Ananya's voice reached me as she knelt down and looked at me with a worry stricken face.

"Should we call the ambulance?" She asked.

"I'm fine..." I was saying when the pain returned.

"Yeah, call the ambulance." I sighed.