TEN: THAT'S FOR BEING FRIENDS WITH THE ENEMY

x. there's a world where your dream came true

-•-•-•-

{"If you dream it, you can be it. So dream big."}

-•-•-•-

-•-•-•-

"You sure it glowed again, Dad?" Jennie asks as she paces around her father's office, biting her nails.

"I sleep with the damn thing under my pillow." Alaric retorts. "It's hard to miss."

"What do you think it's gonna be this time? Hmm? Cyclops? Slender Man? Santa?" Hope lists off possible monsters, causing Jennie and Alaric to chuckle at her last option.

"Well, given our luck, I think it's safe to rule out Ol' Saint Nick."

"I don't know, Dad. I mean Hope's got a point." Jennie defends her newfound friend. "Santa Claus is kind of terrifying when you think about it. Breaks into your home. He sees you when you're sleeping. Knows when you're awake."

"Not to mention, judge-y." Hope adds in.

"Hope, Jennie, I need you to focus."

"Look, I'm trying. I just wish that Satan's nightlight would give us some rest." Hope complains.

"Yeah. And I wish that knife was never in our school, to begin with, but it's not like we can change that now. All we can do is make sure we're not blindsided by another monster waltzing through our doors." Alaric was interrupted by the door bursting open, to reveal Josie and Lizzie with their bags. Lizzie looking as if she was ready to kill all three occupants in the room.

"Too late," Hope mutters, causing Jennie to slightly snicker at the comment.

Alaric looks at his two daughters, mortified. "Oh, God. Uh, girls. What are you doing here? You're not supposed to get in until tonight."

"Mom was able to get us direct into Dulles. Then faxed, texted and e-mailed you our revised itinerary." Lizzie informs her father with a glare.

Alaric eyes widen. "I am so sorry. It's-it's chaos around here."

Josie gave her father a reassuring smile. "It's okay, Dad. We know that you're overwhelmed. But Europe was amazing. And seeing Mom was really good."

"Jo's covered the bright side. Far less sunny was waiting for you in the chilly dark of morning at the terminal and you not showing up." Lizzie throws her bag down with a huff.