TWENTY-SEVEN: THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR JOKES

xxvii. this is why we don't entrust plans to muppet babies

-•-•-•-

{"Oh my god are you seriously crying? You're such a baby."}

-•-•-•-

-•-•-•-

"Okay, that's enough." Alaric Saltzman stopped his daughter Lizzie from continuing her freezing spell on the Mora Miserium when the glass began to crack. "We're trying to stop it from exploding, not speed up the process."

The four Saltzman's were in Alaric's office trying to come up with ideas to solve Josie's black magic problem. So far they weren't very successful.

Lizzie set the Mora Miserium on the desk and walked over to Josie who was a bundle of nerves.

Alaric sighed. "We have tried 12 different spells. This is not a problem that magic can fix."

"Clearly," Jennie muttered from the chair in front of her father's desk.

"Well, it's better than your solution of covering it in concrete and dropping it in the ocean." Lizzie retorted.

"Maybe I deserve the black magic to just boomerang back to me," Josie spoke up. It was very obvious to all in the room how anxious she was about the whole situation. Jennie wished she could comfort her sister and tell her not to worry, but honestly, at this point, it seemed as if there was nothing they could do to stop the inevitable from happening.

"Just cut yourself some slack, okay? You made a mistake." Alaric softened his voice to provide comfort to his daughter.

"Wait. What if we try Dad's idea, but better? Instead of dropping the discount lava lamp in the ocean, we drop it in a place where magic can't escape. The prison world." Lizzie offered.

Alaric immediately shot the idea down. "Absolutely not."

"No, this is perfect," Lizzie argued. "There's a celestial event tonight. A meteor shower and that is what we need to make the ascendant work, right?" Lizzie looked to Josie for conformation.

Josie stood up from the chair she was sitting on, seemingly on board with the plan. "Yeah, that and Bennett blood."

Before the two girls could go any further in their plotting Alaric cut in. "No, I said no!"

The three girls looked at him as he continued. "I will figure this out. Okay? Don't do anything while I'm gone." Alaric walked over to the door and quickly left the room.