TWENTY-TWO: YOU STILL HAVE ME

xxii. that's nothing i had to remember

-•-•-•-

{"Trust me, I will never forget you."}

-•-•-•-

-•-•-•-

"Hey, thanks for helping. You really didn't have to do this." Alaric told his daughter as they carried bins of decorations to a nearby table.

"Yeah, no problem," Jennie responded as she set the container of items on the table, followed next by her father.

She began to remove the items from the container and onto the table when her father spoke again. "Hey, I need to talk to you. Hope told me you showed her what really happened that night you died. I'm really sorry I didn't believe you. It won't happen again, I promise."

"Yeah, well you've promised me things before," Jennie replied dryly, avoiding her father's gaze as she continues to work.

"I know, but this time I actually mean it. I know we've always had a damaged relationship and I want to fix it." Alaric stated, truthfully.

Jennie sighed, shaking her head. "Dad-"

"I promise you I'm going to be a better father. I'll do whatever it takes."

"Dad-"

"I-I'm going to spend more time with you. I'm going to check in more. I'm going to-"

Frustrated, Jennie finally turned to face her father, throwing the object in her hand back in the container. "For once in your life can you please just listen to me?"

Alaric looked down. "Yeah, Sorry."

Jennie took in a deep breath before she exhaled. "Thank you. I want to repair our relationship too," Jennie spoke softly before her voice became sharp. "But let's make one thing clear. You can't just continue to throw away everything I say only to believe me when Hope confirms it for you. You have to actually trust me. Cause if you don't, then what's the point? This will all just be for nothing. Got it?"

Alaric lowered his gaze, nodding slowly. "Yeah. Yeah, I got it."

Jennie nodded and turned back to the table, continuing to do her work and her father followed suit.

She was almost finished when a small giggle caught her attention. Jennie looked up to see Hope and Ethan at the table across from them, the two clearly flirting with each other.