Chapter Two

Two days later, Amai wanted to thank Shigure for helping her out. She finished work at the library early and went to the store to buy a cake. She would have baked one but she didn't want to use the oven in the hostel and, also, she actually didn't know how to bake. She bought a jiggly sponge cake because she thought it was cute before making her way to Shigure's house.

She knocked on the wooden panel like last time and waited. The door slid open and there stood Shigure with a surprised expression on his face.

"Oh, Amai," he smiled. "What a lovely surprise. I hope you haven't hurt yourself again."
She laughed and shook her head. "Fortunately, I haven't. I actually wanted to say thank you properly for the other day." She held up the dessert. "I bought you cake." She then wobbled it. "See? It's jiggly."
He chuckled. "You really didn't have to but I could never refuse such a thoughtful gift." He took it from her. "Would you like to join me for some tea?"
"I'd love to."

He welcomed her inside to the dining room. There was a low table in the centre of the room with a TV in the corner. He left the door open so that the room was filled with daylight before placing the cake on the table.

"Make yourself comfortable and I'll be back in a few minutes," he said before going into the next room.

She nodded, taking off her shoes before kneeling down on one side of the table. After placing her bag on the floor, she looked around the room and noticed how simple it was. It was spacious but it felt almost...empty. Lonely.

About five minutes later, Shigure returned with a tray. On top of it was a pot of tea, two cups, a small dish with sugar cubes and a couple of plates. He knelt down opposite her and placed the tray in the middle.

"I can't say I'm the best at making tea so I apologise if it isn't to your taste," he said with a nervous smile.
She giggled. "It's okay. I'm sure it will be fine."
"Sugar?"
"I'll take one."

As he poured the tea, Amai cut the cake and put a slice on each plate. As he gave her the tea, she breathed in some of the scent.

"It smells lovely." She then took a small sip. "You should give yourself more credit, Shigure. The tea is lovely."
He smiled. "Why, thank you. How is your ankle?"
"Much better. And my knee has healed quite a bit already."
"I'm glad. Did you just finish work?"
"Mhm," she nodded. "I work part time at the library whenever I'm not at college or studying."
"Wow. You really love your books, don't you?"
"I do. I have no idea where I got it from though."
"Do your parents like to read?" he asked.
Amai glanced down at the mention of her parents. "My parents and I never got along. I don't even know what they like."

Shigure frowned sadly. He never knew someone like Amai would have such a bad relationship with her parents.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.
She looked up at him again. "No, don't be." She smiled brightly. "I'm happier where I am now. I think I love books so much because it lets me escape."
"You're a strong girl, Amai. I admire that. And to celebrate our new friendship, I also have a gift for you."
Her smile beamed even brighter. "What is it?"
"I'll be right back."

He got up and left the room out to the veranda through where Amai had entered. Just a minute later, he returned with a book. After sitting back down, he gave it to her.

"It's new and this is the only complete copy," he told her. "It won't be mass produced until next week."
She read the title aloud. "Tale of Lovers by Noa Kiritani." Her eyes widened as she gasped excitedly. "Oh, my goodness! This is his new book?! I didn't even know he was writing one!" She looked at Shigure again. "How did you get a hold of this? Do you work with him?"
He laughed softly and shook his head. "Noa Kiritani is my pen name. I'm the author."

Her eyes looked like they were about to pop out of her head as she stared at him. She couldn't believe that the Noa Kiritani, the author who's books she had read over and over again, was sitting right in front of her.

"Shut up!"
He blinked a couple of times. "Ex-excuse me..?"
"Shut. Up! You're seriously Noa Kiritani?!"
"Yes," he answered nervously, wondering if he made the right decision in telling her.
She suddenly squealed, unable to contain her excitement. "This is so AMAZING! I can't believe I'm sitting here and having tea with you! It's such an honour! I'm freaking out! I'm such a huge fan of your work! Will you sign my books?"
He sweat dropped. "Of course."
She took a deep breath. "Great. It's out of my system now," she said calmly, a complete contrast from just a second ago. She held up the book with sparkles in her eyes. "I will treasure this forever." And then she hugged it to her chest. "Am I really allowed to keep this?"
"Yes. It's my gift to you," he smiled.
She grinned brightly and placed it inside her bag. "Can I ask you something?"
"Go right ahead."
"Why do you have a pen name?"
"Well, a lot of authors do the same thing. For me, personally, it was to protect my identity," he explained. "The only people who really know are my publishers, my family and now you."
"Oh, I see. Well, your secret is totally safe with me."
He smiled. "I have no doubt. I trust you."

They continued to have their tea and cake, which Shigure loved. And he also found it amusing how jiggly it was. While they were laughing about the cake, a third person entered. Shigure looked past Amai to see the young boy.

"Ah, Yuki, you're home," he greeted.
Amai turned to look at him over her shoulder. "Hello."

Yuki had grey hair and grey eyes and looked to be quite soft natured. Although currently, he seemed shocked and confused by the guest sitting in front of Shigure.

"Can I have a word with you, Shigure?" he said, his voice just nearly cracking.
"Of course." He looked at Amai. "I won't be long."
"Okay," she smiled.

He got up and followed Yuki out of the room and down the hallway to the stairs. He stopped there and glared up at his older cousin.

"Why is there a girl here?" he whisper-yelled. "She could find out our secret."
Shigure smiled calmly. "She's just a friend. I helped her out a couple of days ago and she wanted to say thank you. Don't worry, Yuki. She won't find out."
Yuki frowned angrily. "She better not."
"Where is Kyo?"
"Why should I care?" he spoke in a huff before walking up the stairs.

Shigure sighed deeply before making his way back to Amai.

"I'm sorry about that," he said.
"It's okay. I should be going anyway." She stood up and flung her bag onto her shoulder. "Thank you for the tea. Oh, and the book."
"The pleasure is mine, Amai. And thank you for the cake."
"Anytime," she smiled before going to put on her shoes.
He walked her out. "Do come by again soon. I enjoyed your company."
She nodded. "I'd love to."

They waved as she left his home. Yuki came back down after changing out of his school uniform and eyed his cousin disapprovingly as he watched Amai leave.

"Why did you bring her here?" Yuki asked.
Shigure sighed. "I've already told you. She needed help and that was all. She came here to say thank you." He turned to Yuki with a smile. "Don't worry, I don't plan on getting too close to her. She won't find out about the curse."
"She?" came Kyo's voice that was on the verge of cracking. The orange haired boy looked annoyed already.
Yuki sighed. "Shigure has a girl friend."
"She's not my girlfriend!" he argued.
"No. I meant she's a friend that's a girl."
"Oh..." He laughed nervously as he rubbed the back of his head.
Kyo yelled, "What you gonna do if she finds out about us, huh?!"
"She won't find out, Kyo," Shigure assured him calmly. "Besides if she did, Akito would simply have her memories erased."
"Whatever," he sighed as he walked towards the stairs. "It's gonna happen to her and everyone else after her. This life sucks."

Shigure knew how difficult it was. He kept himself distant from females all his life and it would have to be the same with Amai. He couldn't allow himself to get close to her. However, he found that he was already looking forward to seeing her again.

***

Amai finished reading her new book in less than two days. She was hooked onto it. But she felt a bit strange when she read it. The characters in the book were fantastically written and Shigure was truly an amazing author. But she kept picturing the main man and woman as Shigure and herself. It made her blush just imagining it. And then it didn't help at all when she dreamt of themselves as those characters in certain romantic scenarios. When she woke up, she thought of Shigure in a whole new light.

'Oh, my god... I have a crush on Shigure...'