Chapter Twenty One

(Sorry about the late update. Just started a new job recently so I've been super busy. Also sorry for all the errors in this chapter. It's 3am 😭 )

Shigure and Amai lay on the bridge together side-by-side. The candles were still alight and the fireflies were gliding around like floating stars. He had told her that Ayame was the one who got the candles ready and she couldn't wait to see him and Hatori. She held her hand up for them both to see, the diamond ring on her finger sparkling brighter than the stars in the night sky.

"I truly hope this isn't a dream..." she whispered.
He locked his fingers with her other hand as he also looked up at the ring. "Even if it was, I'd still make it happen."
"I can't wait to be married to you." She lowered her hand and turned her head to look at him. "Even before my memories were taken, I remember I had dreamt of this moment."
He lifted her hand kissed it softly. "Me, too. But I have a request to make."
"What is it?"
He looked into her eyes, his expression showing deep thought. "Until the curse is broken, I can't marry you."

He felt horrible for saying it and the last thing he wanted was to upset her on the night of their engagement. However, he was completely shocked when she smiled with a nod.

"I agree."
He blinked in surprise. "You do?"
"Of course. I want to be able to hold my husband without him transforming on our wedding."
His eyes lit up at her words. "That's exactly it." He breathed a sigh of relief. "I was so scared that I was going to hurt you..."
"Of course you wouldn't hurt me, Shigure. We'll always be together. Even when we were separated, we were together." She snuggled into his side, resting her head on his shoulder. "This is a promise. We're going to get married and we're going to do it with Akito's blessing."
"And that's my promise to you as well." He sighed calmly. "I've never felt so at peace than I do right now."
"I don't think either of our lives have been ideal. I'm just grateful I found my peace with you."
He smiled, gently squeezing her hand. "When we get to the lake house this weekend, Tori and Aya want to celebrate."
She looked at him. "I thought we were going to keep Hatori's mind off of Hana's wedding. Won't our engagement counteract that?"
"No. In fact Tori was the one who suggested it. I actually had to ask for his permission."
She giggled. "Really?"

*Flashback*

Shigure showed Hatori and Ayame the ring.

"What do you think?"
Ayame's face lit up with glee. "Oh, it's absolutely darling! It would shine so beautifully on my gorgeous Amai's finger!"
Hatori nodded in agreement. "It's wonderful."
Shigure smiled. "Thanks. I-"
"But," Hatori interjected, "you forgot one thing."
"What?"
"If you wish to propose to Amai, you must first ask for my permission."
Shigure laughed in amusement. "Very funny."

However, Hatori's expression remained hard and stoic. There was even a slight crease between his brows as he narrowed his eyes at his friend. Shigure instantly stopped laughing when he realised that he wasn't joking. Even Ayame had his arms folded, not a hint of jest in his eyes.

"You- You're serious?"
Hatori closed his eyes. "Amai's parents are nonexistent. Therefore, as acting eldest brother, I shall be the one to give her away." He opened his eyes again. "I have not given you permission to marry my sister."
Shigure gulped as he sweatdropped. "Why do I feel you're much more frightening than her actual father would be..?"

Hatori's glare only stiffened making Shigure cower in fear. Tears streamed down his cheeks as he clasped his hands together pleadingly.

"Please, Hatori-"
"Sir," Hatori corrected.
"Please, sir, may I have your permission to propose to Amai?"
"Why do you wish to marry her?"
"Because I love her. I want to spend the rest of my life with her. Being without her is torture for me and I never want to lose her again," he answered seriously. "I'm only complete when I'm with her. She truly is my other half. My soulmate."
There was a short silence before Hatori smiled ever so slightly. "You have my permission. I can think of no one better for her."
Shigure smiled. "Thank you."