Chapter Twenty Nine

Amai smiled upon seeing her ex boyfriend. Their relationship had ended on good terms so she was happy to see him.

She went over to him. "How are you? It's been such a long time," she said as she hugged him.
He wrapped his arms around her waist and returned the hug but he was confused. "I'm good. How have you been? I last saw you a few months ago."
"A few months?" she asked as they parted from the hug. "Why does it feel longer than that?"
He held onto her shoulders and looked at her. "Are you alright?"
"Yeah. Kinda..." She shook her head and smiled softly. "My brain has just been a little...fuzzy... lately."
"What do you mean?"
"You're going to think I'm crazy..."
"You know me, Amai. I would never think that."
She looked up at him for a few seconds before sighing. "I've lost some of my memories..."
His brows furrowed slightly. "You've never had that problem before."
"I know... A guy saw me collapse on the street and took me to a doctor and-"
"You collapsed?! When?" He moved his hands down to hers and held onto them. "Are you hurt?"
"I'm fine, Akira. I promise. The doctor I went to said I'm completely fine. Until I can go to a neurologist, I just have to make sure I don't have any other symptoms."

He was shocked as he listened to her. In the two years they were together she never had any problems. But it made him wonder one thing.

"So, no fiancé..?"
"Fiancé?" she asked in confusion. "Why would I have a fiancé?"
"Oh..."

He thought that perhaps the man she was with ended their relationship because of her memory loss. It annoyed him that her ex fiancé would just leave her like that but Akira wasn't going to complain.

"Hey, do you want to head back to my place? We can just hang out and catch up."
She smiled. "I'd like that. I could really do with a friend right now."
He returned the smile. "Great. Let's go."

She then turned away from her building and walked with him down the street.

***

Shigure had been updated that Amai had returned to her apartment. Now it was just a matter of time before she started to find clues she had left around her place.

As he lay in bed, he turned to face the empty space beside him. He missed having Amai next to him where she would be reading one of his books or talking to him about her day. Once her memories returned, they would be together again. And once the curse was broken, he would be able to hold her properly for the first time. He couldn't wait.

***

Amai laughed joyously as she sat on Akira's couch with a glass of champagne in her hand. The incredibly important letter with Shigure's note remained in her jacket pocket that was hanging on the coat rack. She and Akira both sat together, reminiscing about their past relationship.

"That day was great," she laughed softly as she placed her glass on the table.
He nodded with a light chuckle. "It really was. You were so hilarious. And so beautiful." He reached out and gently brushed back some of her hair. "You still are."
She blushed at his words. "Stop it."
He smiled and scooted closer to her. "I mean it." He moved his hand down to her face and cupped her cheek as he gazed into her eyes. "You're honestly the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. I regret that our relationship had to end."
She smiled softly. "Me, too."

Slowly, he leaned forward. She closed her eyes as his lips touched hers before she deepened the kiss. Moving her hands up to hold his jaw, their lips moved together slowly as the kiss grew in heat.

As he moved his hand to her leg and ran it up to her waist, something suddenly clicked in her mind. As she kissed him, she could feel that something wasn't right. There was no spark between them like there used to be. It felt as though she wasn't meant to be there.