Chapter Thirteen

Now that Tohru knew what had happened in Shigure's past, it was constantly in the back of her mind. For days and even weeks, she wondered what kind of life Amai led without Shigure. She even hoped to meet her one day.

As more time went on, she met Hatori and other members of the Zodiac. Hatori asked Tohru to visit the main house, though Tohru was worried that Hatori was going to erase her memories. At her meeting with Hatori, she learned about Hatori's past with Kana, his assistant turned lover, and how he had to erase her memories. He warned Tohru about the Sohmas saying that they were dangerous, but Tohru remained steadfast in her affection for the family. She told him that she knew of Shigure's past too and she wished to stay.

That was the day she first saw Akito as she passed her in a car. Even in that short moment, she could sense Akito's frightening hold. Thankfully, that feeling quickly passed.

When new year's came, Shigure was barely seen. Yuki had informed Tohru that it was because it was the day Amai was taken away from him. He only came out of his room when it was time to leave for the banquet.

Tohru recognised the kimono he wore from the story. It was the one Amai had given him on his birthday. It was clear to her then that even three years on, there was still a strong sense of Amai in the house and in Shigure's heart.

Kyo and Yuki skipped the banquet to stay with Tohru. She was incredibly grateful because it was her first new years without her mother. When sunrise approached, the three of them went up onto the roof to watch the sun and to bring in the new year. Tohru was super excited at the sight of the first drop of sun for the year and closed her eyes as she wholeheartedly made her wish.

'I wish that Kyo and Yuki will stop fighting and I wish that Amai returns so that she and Shigure can be happy again.'

A few weeks later, Tohru was dusting Shigure's office while everyone was out. Kyo was at an after-school sports club, Yuki was also at school but he was helping set something up for an upcoming event and Shigure had gone to do some grocery shopping for the house.

She had just finished wiping Amai's photo frame when she heard a knock at the front door. She knew it couldn't have been any of the guys since they all could help themselves in. Unless it was Shigure and he needed help carrying the bags. She made her way to the front door and slid it open.

Standing there was a woman of average height wearing a smart shirt and a pencil skirt. She had long, wavy, blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. Tohru's eyes widened as she recognised who she was. Her theory was confirmed even further upon seeing the book shaped necklace around her neck. She was so in shock that she froze and forgot to greet her.

"Hello," the lady said with a smile.
Tohru was still in shock. "H... H... Hi..."
"Uh... Do you live here?"
"Y-y-yes," she shook with a gaumless smile on her face.
"Great. My name is Amai and I'm a teacher at the local elementary school," she introduced herself before holding out a leaflet. "The school is holding a charity event in the park next weekend and it would be truly wonderful if you could make it."
Tohru's hand shook as she took the leaflet. "O-okay..."
Amai found her to be very odd but didn't say anything about it. "It's a family event so you can bring your family with you. There'll be prize draws, food and games and all the money spent will go straight to multiple charities. All the details are on that leaflet. I hope to see you there." She bowed respectfully. "Have a nice day."
"Y-you t-t-t-too, ma'am."

Amai smiled before turning and walking away to go to the next house. Tohru slid the door closed and then just stood there, still frozen. She couldn't seem to move at all.

'Was I dreaming..? That was Amai... Shigure's Amai!'

She stayed standing there for so long that she didn't know how much time had passed. It had been five minutes since Amai left and Tohru's mind tried to process everything.