iii/iv

T H R E E ( 3 ) - A  N E W  T E X T 

Waking up today was easier. I didn't have a nightmare that kept me up all night. I don't know how but I can feel positive about this. At least at this moment. My dad hasn't tried to get in contact, he's definitely not here.

Today at breakfast was different. Usually we don't eat together because I'm already late for school, Mom is still sleeping or helping Kurt get ready for school. But today he was ready, they were both at the table eating together. She stopped me from walking out the door and told me that she called the school to let them know that I was gonna be late.

We actually ate breakfast together.

Can't remember the last time we did that.

She dropped me off at the high school after that. Her and Kurt were taking the day off. But I opted out because I really just wanted to get back to school. Back to stressing over normal teenager things like pop quizzes and projects. 

I get to be normal stressed for the meantime.

Standing at my locker was something I couldn't have predicted though. There was Izzy. Hadn't seen her in a while let alone at my locker. She even waved at me. 

This can't be a dream right? I woke up this morning?

I slowly walked over to my locker and my best friend. I wonder if Isaiah did something. I hadn't talked with him in a while either but I hope he's still in town. As soon as I was five feet near her she smiled at me.

"It's good to see you, you've been out for a while. I thought something had happened to you." She looked legitimately worried for me. She's still Izzy in there. If she wasn't she would give two shits about me. She was supposed to cut me out of her life and yet here she is at my locker.

"I've been dealing with- my dad. He called the house and was asking for me." I explained to her and saw her eyes go wide. "It's fine, he hasn't called again and we don't think he's in town."

"We- you mean the serpents right? Those guys are your friends now?" She asked with a hint of- something in her voice. Couldn't place it yet.

"Yes they are. They're not bad people, and they're there for me." Shouldn't have said that last part. It just fucking slipped out-

"Well okay then. Just wanted to check on you." She began to turn away from me when I grabbed onto her arm to keep her here. She stilled, she didn't try to get out my grip. 

I waited a few moments. I need to find the right words. If I mess this up I will never forgive myself.

"Izzy, I'm still here. And no matter what I'm here. Always. Don't forget that." I wasn't always the best with my words in situations like this. When was I ever in a cult situation before? I let go of her ar- maybe she'd turn around.

Nope. She continues to walk away from me like I hadn't said anything to her. 

-

My mom walked me into the tent and there he was. He was with his dad also. FP no doubt knew already- he was my mom's gang leader. And he called me over to talk about it not too long ago. She probably went to him as soon as I told her. I'm not angry but I'm just wondering why he didn't tell his son himself.

"Kimmy, great, now you can tell me why my dad is dead set on giving you serpent protection other than the reason your mom was one of us." He sat back in his chair with his fingers intertwined. He sensed my hesitation quickly. "I'm the leader of the serpents, I need to know."

I was about to tell him when I felt my phone begin to buzz in my back pocket. I fished it out quickly and saw that it was multiple texts. From Isaiah.

'Hey Kid, I'm sorry but I have to head back to work in a few hours. I've tried to talk some sense into Izzy but it's not working.'

'I'm looking into moving her over to the city where she can be with me. It's the only option I see that would work quickly. Trying to pull her out is not working'

'She keeps fighting me.'

'but it doesn't seem like anything to bad. she sat down with me and told me she was happier. And that she feels better like she did before our parents died.'

'I don't want her in there permanently but she's not in an danger it seems like. Moving seems like the best option.'

I hear a throat being cleared and I look up at Jughead. "Sorry- I have to make a call. It's important."

"Kimmy can't you do it later- if you need protection-" He stopped talking when I held up my hand to him as I began to leave the tent.

I tapped on the green call button by Isaiah's name and put it to my ear. The ringing went through but he wasn't picking up. Shit. I looked down at my phone and hit the re-call option.

The ringing went through and the call pickup up after the third ring. "Kimmy?"

"Isaiah you can't leave. She talked to me today- like she was my friend again. Whatever you were doing was working okay- you c-cant leave. She needs both of us." I tried to make him understand, my voice getting louder and louder as I went. "If you leave she's gone, she'll be un reachable."

There was rusting on the other side. "Kim I'm never there for her. She's found family in these people and as much as I don't like it- who am I to deny her that? At least for now?"

"Are you ki- this is not family Isaiah! This is a cult! She is being brain washed." I shut my eyes and knelt down on the dirty ground. I needed to sit down- couldn't take all of this. "I know you think you haven't been the best guardian but you are trying your best! You are doing all you can! So keep doing that! Please don't give up on her she needs us but she needs you the most. Please."

I could hear him sigh on the other end of the line. He knows I'm right. This is only gonna work if we're both here for her. I may be dealing with a psycho dad but I'll still be here for her. No matter what.

"Kim- I-" He sounded like he was giving up. God don't give up you stupid idiot. "I'll quit my job and get a job in Riverdale. I'll do it."

"Oh thank god I thought you were about to tell me you already gone. Thank god. Now I can breathe, thanks. Call me if anything, yeah?"

"Yeah."

I heard the call disconnect and I let out a breath of relief. Finally opening my eyes I see I've caused a scene. Most of the serpents that are outside are looking at me. Quickly I get up from the dirt and dust myself off.

Jughead. Shit.

Slipping my phone in my back pocket I jog back into the tent. Only there is no Jughead. It's just my mom and FP. They are speaking in hushed tones. When they see me they stop and face me instead of themselves.

"I didn't tell him about-" I began buy my mom held up her hand at me.

"I told him to do it for me, no questions. We've got you're back kid."