ii/iv

T W O ( 2 ) - I N  T H E  B U N K E R S

I could feel the needle on my back. Breaking the skin and inking me. It wasn't an intricate design seeing as it was done impromptu. But the product still looked like the real deal. 

I wonder if Ms.Jones knew what was happening. I mean she has a son my age- would she want this for him? I guess that doesn't matter because he's the leader of the gang here. But our conditions are different.

Did she know I was only joining because I had no other options? If she knew, did she care? I'm not trying to call her spineless but me joining would be in her favor. Another pair of hands to steal. Another gang member.

Maybe she didn't know everything. Everyone deserved the benefit of the doubt at first. I can't believe how trusting I am to this day. I mean I was so quick to befriend Syd and Bowie. I don't regret it but I'm just worried that this whole trusting thing will come back to bite me in the ass.

Groggily I threw the covers off of me and got out of bed. With my eyes still not quite open yet I made my way to the bag filled with snacks that Fp left for me since I arrived here. Do I want a granola bar or do I want a Twinkie?

I grabbed the Twinkie.

Opening up the package I walked back to my bed only to be met with the other inhabitants of the bunker. I almost forgot about them for a moment. I begin to eat and realize my rudeness.

"Do you guys want any?" I asked the two boys- not the weirdo man who's still on the floor. He could choke for all I care. 

They both shook their heads. So I took their no and sat on the bed and my eye caught something. A gun. Fangs had a gun. He must've noticed I was staring at his gun because he cleared his throat.

I decide to not say anything. Just finish off my snack.

Instead of the silence I was used to I could hear the bunker opening up. Who else was coming to visit us? Hopefully it's FP so he could take over for them. I don't think they got sleep last night. And they're not eating. And they've got a gun.

Somethings bound to go wrong. No doubt they're taking shit into their hands that should be handled by adults. Just like Betty and her friends.

I'm wrong though when Harrison comes walking in instead of FP. While he does see me, he doesn't acknowledge me. He talks with Fangs and Sweet Pea in whispers for a while. That is until he turns around to look at me.

"Bowie and Syd are up there waiting for you." He announced.

I couldn't move fast enough. Going up the ladder and out into the fresh air I saw them both. I got my feet on the fresh earth beneath me as they noticed I was coming up. They came over rand met me half way.

"How have you been?" 

"Are you okay?"

I nodded to both questions even though only one of them could be answer with a nod. They both looked at me like they were waiting for me to say something. I couldn't get this one question out of my head though.

"You didn't tell your boyfriends about me. Why?" I asked them both

They shared a look between each other before motioning me to come close to them. Away from the bunker entrance I stood shoulder to shoulder with them.

"Well we both know that summer isn't something you want to talk about. And it was your choice to tell us, we're bound to secrecy now." Syd shrugged her shoulders at me and looked around the woods.

They would do that for me? 

"Even if it was something you were okay with talking about, it's your secret to tell. Plus the boys are kind of on edge now with tall boy being back, their best friend being killed, etc." Bowie put lightly- I'm guessing tall boy is the man who's in the bunker with me. But their best friend being killed?

I looked to Syd. 

"Don't worry about me. I go to group therapy every week or so. I'm working on being fine." She smiled at me, no teeth. "But maybe don't tell them yet until this situation is all cleared up. And whenever your ready of course."

I nodded at her.

"Does this mean you didn't tell Jughead?" Bowie asked.

I shook my head. 

She crossed her arms over her chest and nodded to herself. "Okay good. The less people that know the better. It's just us and your mom?"

"And FP. And now Evelyn." I answered.

"Don't worry about her, we handled that. She should steer clear of you now." Syd pipped in- what does she mean by that exactly. My face grew in worry and she noticed. "Don't worry we didn't do anything too painful."

An awkward beat passed. 

"They saw the tattoo. Well- the other guy down there saw it and brought it up. I didn't tell them anything but it's still something." confessing to them I glanced back at the entrance to make sure no one was coming up. No one that didn't know my secret.

"Then that's all they need to know. Until you're ready." Syd's placed her arm on my shoulder and tossed me another smile. "They kind of share one braincell anyways so I wouldn't worry too much."

Bowie cackled at that and I couldn't help to laugh too.

"I should get back down there. You know. Safety and all." I pointed to the bunker behind me and they nodded in agreement.

I began to turn around to make good on my word. But I stopped before I could take one step farther from them. Instead I turned around and wrapped my arms around the two girls. They hugged me back.

"We've got you girl."