Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Paramore's song Ignorance was definitely my theme song. Well, not entirely though…some of it was…in a twisted sort of way…

If I'm a bad person, you don't like me…

Really? Am I such a bad person, Cupid, that you can't bother to hit the guy I like?

Well, you treat me just like another stranger

Time to treat Jake like a…well, not like a stranger though. I mean, what did he do wrong in the first place? It's all Cupid's fault, not his.

Ignorance is your new best friend…

Yes, that's the answer. Make 'ignorance' my new best friend and ignore everything. Ignore my feelings for Jake, ignore the new emptiness that's invaded my heart, ignore that annoying heart-clenching feeling whenever he talks to me…

"Ignore, ignore, ignore," I mumbled to myself, sketching on my sketchbook and head-banging to the music that pounded at my eardrums.

No, I wasn't drawing a portrait of Jake. Eh, I sucked at portraits anyway. I was drawing a scene where this girl was sitting alone in a park bench, with her head on her knees and tears falling down her cheek.

Hmm…the girl kind of looked like me…

Nah, I'm not that pretty. Perhaps Jake would've liked me if I was pretty. Or maybe if I was four years older? Or just a whole different person entirely…

Hey, what happened to ignorance? Damn best friend you are!

I groaned, putting my sketchbook aside and flopping back on my bed. My cell phone started ringing.

"Ignorance is your new best friend…"

Yes, I liked the song so much that I made it my ring tone. Plus, I gave it to Jake's number only, to remind me of my not-so-trusty best friend, Ignorance.

I decided not to pick up, watching the phone vibrate and tapping my fingers to the beat. It stopped after a while. But then, a few seconds later, it started blinking, indicated that I got a text message.

Hey, where are you? Why'd you disappear so suddenly yesterday? Are you OK?

I sighed, and sent a text back to Jake, chanting to myself "Ignorance is my new best friend" to ignore that annoying 'pleasant' feeling I got when I saw that Jake cared about me. Well, of course Jake cared about me. I was his friend. And Ignorance is my new friend. He's nicer too. At least Ignorance doesn't get my hopes up and then crush them. He simply…well…ignores me….

Pathetic.

"You're still ignoring Jake?"

"Ignorance is my new best friend," I sang, grinning at Michelle.

Michelle groaned. "Stop it already. I'm getting sick of hearing that same line over and over again whenever I say 'Jake'."

"Ignor -"

Penelope hit my head. "Enough. If you don't pull out of this, I'm telling him your true feelings," she said bossily.

I just stuck my tongue out at her before returning to my sketching. We were at the coffee shop…where I had first seen Jake…where he made me blush even though he joked about us being together…where…

IGNORE DAMNIT!

"You look like you're about to murder your sketchbook," stated Michelle.

"I might," I mumbled.