Chapter 20

Chpter 20

"I'm leaving for Japan in a few days."

Relief washed over me at first. At least he didn't have any serious illness or anything. But then, his words weren't making any sense.

"What?" I asked incredulously. "Japan? Where did that come from?"

Jake ran a hand through his hair, taking a deep breath. "Well…it was actually planned…"

I raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to explain. He leaned on the kitchen counter, his eyes fixed onto the tiled floor.

"The university liked my results a bit too much and offered eighty percent scholarship to this tech uni in Japan," he said.

"Oh," was all that escaped out of my lips. "That's...great," I added, almost wincing at how bland my voice sounded, as if I didn't mean it.

Jake's eyes snapped to my face. "You think it's great?"

"Well, yeah. I mean, you don't get opportunities like this everyday you know," I said, putting on a forced smile.

"I…I won't be coming back," he said almost inaudibly, looking away from my eyes again. "Dad wants me to take over his business in Japan and get settled there."

My heart skipped a beat. He's leaving forever…to another continent?

But I couldn't be selfish and be sad for him. This was an amazing opportunity. How could I, just a girl in his life, ask him not to go?

"Your dad's business is in Japan?" I asked, my voice still sounding monotone.

He nodded. "We'll all be leaving. Clara's settled in Italy because of her husband and Matilda went to Japan when she started college too," he said. "Dad came here to expand his business, and now that that's done, we'll leave again…permanently."

"And what about the business here?" I asked, sounding hopeful.

Jake shook his head. "The main thing's in Japan…I'd have to learn everything there…"

I nodded, not finding any words to say to him. I felt numb. Perhaps shock was taking over my body.

"I might come back after…ten years or something…so yeah, the bottom line is…I won't be able to see you again…" I heard him say softly.

"Ten years…wow…" I said dully.

He'd be thirty years old in ten years. I could really see him as a successful businessman, charming his clients with his engaging personality. He'd probably get married to a beautiful Japanese girl and have cute little kids.

I'd be twenty-six, studying my ass off in med school. I'd probably have no social life and live with cats in a small apartment, with a part-time job in a hospital. I'd probably never fall in love again.

So much could change in ten years.

"Say something…" he whispered, coming closer to me and putting his hands on my shoulders.

I smiled wanly. "This is awesome news. You should celebrate."

A pained look crossed over his eyes. "I'm leaving everything behind me…and you want me to celebrate?"

I shrugged weakly. "Why not? It's a great opportunity."

"Fuck opportunities," he snapped, slipping his hands off my shoulders and pinching the bridge of his nose in exasperation. "I don't want to go to Japan when I have a great life here. Heck, I don't even know Japanese."

"Don't be immature," I chided. "You'll learn from your dad."

"Immature?" he said incredulously. "Rebecca, I'll be leaving my best friends behind…I'll be leaving you behind…"

"We all have to go on our separate paths someday. Leon's rich, he'll visit you from time to time with Hayden and Kurt," I said, looking away from him. "As for me…you'll fall in love with a beautiful geisha and get married to her…"

Jake raised a hand and touched my cheek, turning me to look at him.

"I don't think I can fall in love with someone else after you…that's what's making it so painful…"

My heart jumped at his words. I wanted to shout that I felt the same way about him. But I knew things would get complicated. He had to go to Japan whether he liked it or not. This wasn't a romance movie where the couple could runaway together and live happily ever after. This was real life…and it was unfair. Yes, this was painful to hear, but we had to deal with it logically.

"Don't be ridiculous, Jake," I said, moving away from him. "We're still young."

"Is that really how you feel then?" he asked, hurt evident in his voice.

"Doesn't matter how I feel," I said. "It's not like you could stop this and we'd runaway or something."

"Couldn't we do that?" he asked hopefully.

Yes, I'd love to. "Jake, are you kidding me? I have my whole life ahead of me. I don't want to ruin it and neither should you ruin yours," I replied.

He didn't say anything, probably shocked by my words. I refused to look at his eyes no matter how much I wanted to. I knew I'd take back my words once I'd do so. I knew I'd start crying in his arms, begging for him not to go. But that was selfish and illogical. I couldn't be selfish or illogical anymore. Feelings didn't matter when your future was concerned. No matter how harsh I sounded, it was the truth.

"I guess you are too young then…" he whispered.

I heard him walk away from me, and then the door softly closing behind him. He had left.

I numbly walked out of the kitchen, feeling everyone's eyes on me as I made my way to the front door. Leon, Hayden and Kurt had a knowing look in their eyes. Michelle and Penelope asked me what was wrong but I didn't answer them. The guys took them aside to explain as I walked out the front door.

"How was your day, honey?" I heard my mother's voice ask me. I hadn't even realised when my legs had carried me home.

"It was great," I answered mechanically. "Did you know that the Adams are going off to Japan?"

My mother nodded as she flicked the channels on the television. "Yes, they mentioned it. It must be so hard for Jake, who grew up here."

Huh. Seemed like everyone knew except me.

I carried myself up to my room with leaden legs and flopped down on my bed.

It was only then when the tears came.