Chapter 19

Chapter 19

It was weird how time flew by.

As cliché as it sounds, it seemed just like yesterday that I was worrying about what to wear to meet Jake for the first time, and now, I'm his girlfriend. Seriously, dreams really did come true didn't they?

And now, I was getting ready to sing in front of hundreds of people for the first time in my life.

Yes, the long awaited gig at Jake's university had finally arrived.

"I feel nauseous," I murmured as I peeked out of the curtains to look at hundreds of college students waiting for the concert to start.

Jake sighed before giving me a peck on the cheek. "You'll do fine. Stop worrying."

Leon nodded. "Yeah. It's just one song anyway," he said, as he tuned his guitar.

Kurt was lacing up his pink shoes as Hayden twirled the drumsticks in his hands. Michelle and Penelope were looking out at the crowd with me, wide-eyed.

"Phew, I'm glad I'm not gonna be out there," Michelle said to Penelope, not even bothering to whisper.

"Not helping!" I groaned. What if I forget the words? What if my voice cracks in the middle?

"Oops," said Michelle. "It's okay, it's just a few hundred college kids you'll never see again. So, if you mess up, you won't have to face the embarrassment."

Penelope glared at Michelle as I groaned once more, rubbing my temple. I was getting a headache.

"I'll shut up now," mumbled Michelle before thankfully slinking away to Kurt.

Jake rubbed my shoulders. "You'll be fine," he said softly, looking into my eyes. "I gotta go now, but when Leon announces your name, don't run away, okay?"

I grimaced, for he had read my mind. Dang, that plan's failed now.

"I'll try not to," I said.

He smiled reassuringly before picking up his guitar and following Leon, Kurt and Hayden onto the stage. The crowd cheered as they took their places. I pushed back my nervousness as I cheered for the guys. They made it look so easy.

The guys did three acoustic songs. Somehow, it seemed that being on stage made them tons better. Hayden played the drums more enthusiastically, all of Jake and Kurt's attention were on their guitars and Leon was completely absorbed in the singing. The audience loved them and asked for an encore. But there were other bands waiting to play, so they announced their last song.

"And, for our last song, we'll be having a very special friend of ours join us. Please welcome…Rebecca!" Leon's voice echoed in my ears.

The first thought that went through my head was, Oh shit…that's me….

Penelope and Michelle literally pushed me from behind. "Go!" They yelled simultaneously.

Somehow, my weak legs carried me up on stage. Hundreds of curious eyes were staring at me. Probably wondering what a kid's doing here… But I pushed that thought away when I met Jake's eyes. His look was enough to melt my fears away and give me confidence.

I clenched the mike tightly in my hands as Leon started the duet.

"I wanted you to know, I love the way you laugh,
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away…
I keep your photograph, I know it serves me well,
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain…"