Chapter 23

Chapter 23

School a few weeks later was a kind of distraction. It wasn't the best sort of distraction, but it kept my thoughts away from Jake, even if it was for a little bit. I put all my efforts on my studies and always kept myself busy, doing anything to stop myself from thinking about him.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to get over him. Heck, I wasn't sure if what we had was over anyway. I felt like our story was still incomplete. We needed closure.

That's why I hardly took off the ring that he gave me. I knew it wasn't the best idea if I wanted to get over him…but then again…I guess I didn't want to get over him. That didn't even make sense.

Was it really over? It felt…surreal. I couldn't come to terms with it. I knew that it was over…but…I just couldn't believe it.

But it was over. He hadn't called nor emailed once. I was curious if he was keeping contact with his friends, but I hadn't seen them for weeks. Michelle and Kyle were finally dating, but I was afraid to ask Michelle. I was afraid to hear that Jake was talking to his friends but not me. That would be the final confirmation that yes, it was over. And I wasn't ready to hear that.

"Hey, how's it going?"

I groaned inwardly. "Hey, Natasha."

She plopped down on the chair beside me. I didn't look up from my book. Why did I have to have my free period with her?

"Watcha reading?"

"A book." Duh.

She flipped the book to see the cover. I bit the inside of my cheek to stop myself from snapping at her. Hello, I'm reading!

"Ah, Literature. Heh, so typical of you," she commented.

Yeah. Now skedaddle outta here! "Hmm."

"So, how's your boyfriend?"

Jeez. She sees me after a month and that's the first thing she asks?

"We broke up," I answered mechanically.

Her mouth popped open and her eyes widened in surprise as if she was mocking me. It was a comical effect. Her glasses magnified her eyes, making her look like a gaping fish.

"Really? When? Why?" she plundered on.

"A few weeks ago," I replied. She didn't have to know why. I wasn't that chummy with her.

"Aww. He was kinda cute," she commented. "How long did you guys go out?"

"I didn't count," I said. One month, ten days.

"I've been going out with Andy for around two months now," she chirped. "We hardly ever fight. Did you know that the other day…"

It was going to be a long day…

___________________________________________________________

Yep. I was right. It had been a terribly long day.

After my free period, it seemed everyone knew that I broke up with my hot, older boyfriend. And I have no idea how they even knew that my boyfriend was older than me. Ahem…ex-boyfriend.

I had a hunch about who spread the news though. She was so going to be murdered in her sleep one of these days.

"You really have a knack for spacing out during the most important part of the experiment, Rebecca."

I blinked rapidly. "Oh, sorry, Ace," I mumbled, brushing away the hair away from my eyes. Yeah, I did the spacing-out thing a lot nowadays.

"Is everything alright?" Ace asked softly. I glanced at him from the corner of my eyes. He was looking at me with genuine concern etched in his features.

"Yeah…I'm fine," I said, going back to measuring alkali in a beaker. "Hand me Sulphuric Acid, Ace."

"Let me do it this time. You don't look fine," he said, taking away the beaker from my hands.

I looked at him in surprise. I thought I was doing pretty well with the nonchalant manner I was trying to portray with my fake smiles and light behaviour. Apparently I wasn't doing a good job…or maybe Ace was just too observant.

"You free on Saturday?" he suddenly asked. "I have no idea how to do the assignment. I'll need some help."

"Yeah, sure," I said.

"Okay, so I'll meet you at the library at five," he said, grinning at me. "And then maybe we'll catch a movie together later?"

I suddenly grew cold. "Who told you I broke up with my boyfriend?" I asked.

His grin slipped off. "Natasha."

I made a mental note to murder her tonight. "Look, Ace, you're nice, but I'm not –"

"Whoa, chill, Rebecca, I didn't mean it as a date," interrupted Ace, raising his hands in surrender. "It's not that I don't want to ask you out sometime, but I know you're not ready for that yet. You've been moping around all over the place."

"Am not," I huffed.

"Sure you aren't," he said sardonically, rolling his eyes. "But really, I just wanted to get to know you better…as friends," he added cautiously. "Besides, isn't it time to…move on? Let's just have fun."

I sighed. "As friends," I stated, nodding.

I couldn't help but notice that the smile on his face didn't reach his eyes. "Yep," he said. "Just friends."

___________________________________________________________

A/N: Thank you for all the comments and votes! Really appreciate it. :D

And don't worry, the story's not over yet!