The Birthday

A few weeks later we're still on the hunt for wolves. We found a lead in Tennessee and Klaus told me to stay in the car while Stefan and him go up to the house. I wait in the car with the radio on. When I see Klaus walking back I turn it off and get out.
"Did they tell you anything?" I ask him.
"Of course they did, love." He tells me and walks to the driver door. I hear screaming from inside the house and turn to Klaus.
"Please tell me you didn't." I say to him and he smiles.
"Oh no. That's all Stefan, sweetheart." He tell me and I roll my eyes and get in the car.
"Such an ass." I mumble as he gets in.
"What was that?" He asks with a smile.
"I said that you're an ass." I tell him and look out my window.

▫️▫️▫️

We pull up to a bar that the girls told Klaus he would find Ray. We go inside and Stefan starts to compel everyone. Klaus goes to Ray, and I go to the bathroom. I use the bathroom wash up and then head back out to find Ray on the wall and Stefan is throwing darts at him,probably dipped in wolfsbane. Klaus is just watching.
"Ray, you can end this right now. Just tell me where your pack gathers for the full moon." Stefan says to him and I turn and stand in front of Klaus.
"Sweetheart, you're blocking my view of the show." He says trying to look around me but I move in front of him again. "Okay, what is it now?" He asks me sounding like he actually cares.
"Is this really necessary?" I ask him motioning to Stefan and Ray.
"It is, love. We're close to finding the pack and I'm not giving up now." He says.
"Fine, I'll be over there. With my headphones in blocking out the screams while I eat." I tell him pointing to the other side of the bar. He pulls his wallet out and pulls out a $50.
"For your food. It's the least I can do since you'll have to listen to this." He says and I whisper a small thank you as I go to sit down. I order some food. I blast my ear buds and eat for about an hour. I get up and take my dishes to the bar and I look around. Ray is now on the pool table and Klaus is still trying to get information out of him. I walk over to them.
"Where did Stefan go?" I ask him.
"Went to take care of a problem. Seems your little boyfriend and his other brother have been tracking us. They're getting close." He tells me.
"I'll handle Hunter." I tell him. "Nothing out of him yet?" I asked and he shakes his head. "Let me try." I tell him and he looks surprised.
"Okay." He says and just watches me.
"Ray, my friend over there. He's a real ass. But he won't stop until you tell him. I don't want to see you like this anymore. And I'm sure you want the torture to be over. So just tell him, ok?" I ask and he looks up at me and nods. I look back at Klaus and he smiles at me.
"I'll be right back. I have a phone call to make." I tell him and walk to the door of the bar. I walk out the door and to the side of the bar. I pull out my phone and call Hunter.
"Hello?" He answers. "Phoebe? Look I'm going to find you." He tells me.
"I don't want to be found." I tell him.
"Look, I know you made a deal with Klaus but that doesn't mean you have to stick with him forever ok?" He tells me.
"What part don't you understand. I want to stay, I don't need to be saved and I don't want to be found." I tell him.
"Phoebe there is nothing you can say to make me give up on you." He tells me.
"I slept with Klaus." I blurt out. "I don't want to be found." I tell him.
"I understand." He tells me and I can hear the tears. Then, he hangs up and I put my phone into my pocket. Klaus walks up to me and I turn to hide the tears coming down my face.
"Well, you did a nice job in there. I have to admit, your way worked. Mine didn't." He says.
"Phoebe, are you okay?" He asks .
"Yeah, Hunter and Damon won't be a problem anymore." I tell him and go to walk past him but he grabs me.
   "What's wrong?" He asks me gently.
   "He hates me." I tell him and burst into tears.
   "I doubt anyone could hate you, love." He says and pulls me into his arms as I cry. "Who is it?" He asks.
   "Hunter. I called him, I tried to tell him that I didn't want to leave. But, he wouldn't listen. So I lied to him. I-I told him something horrible in his view and now he hates me." I say and he wipes my tears.
   "Then, love, that is his loss. Because you are the least hate-able person I know. I mean look at what I just did in there. I'm a monster and you got him talking just by being nice." He says and I laugh.
   "You're not a monster. You're just really misunderstood." I tell him and hug him again and he flattens the hair on the top of my head before kissing the top pf my head.