Ghost World

Ms. Lockwood talks on stage about how happy she is to kick of the day of festivities.
"What are we doing here?" Jeremy asks.
"Tobias Fell is the head of the history department. I didn't have a choice." My dad says.
"All right, that explains what you're doing here." Jeremy says.
"Well, I'm the one who can fail you if you don't help me out." My dad says to him.
"But, you wouldn't fail your own daughter. So, I'm just gonna go." I say and he grabs my shoulder.
"You are here because you were drinking at the bonfire and this is your punishment." He tells me.
"So was Elena. Why don't you punish her?" I ask him.
"Elena's not my daughter." He says and I sigh.
"Hey, sorry I'm late. What did I miss?" Elena asks walking up to us.
"You didn't miss anything." Jeremy tells her. Jeremy laughs and we look at him.
"What's so funny?" Elena asks him and he just shrugs it off. We listen to the rest of the speech and then go to the grill for food.
"Hey, Jer. I need you to help me with something." Elena says.
"What's up?"
"I've been going through Stefan's old journals. Every single time that he's gone off the rails in the past, his bestfriend lexi's been the one to bring him back." Elena explains.
"So, where is she now, that we need her?" Dad asks.
"She's dead. And you want me to try and reach her don't you?" He asks.
"Wait, Lexi, blonde that came for Stef's b-day last year. She's dead?" I ask her.
"Yeah, Damon killed her." Elena says.
"Damn. She was cool." I mumble.
"I thought if I knew how she did it, maybe I could help him." Elena says to Jeremy.
"I don't even know if she's on the other side." Jeremy says.
"Is that what it's called?" She asks him.
"That's what Anna calls it. There's not like an official brochure or anything." Jeremy explains.
"So what is it, like some sort of supernatural purgatory?" Dad asks.
"Well, Anna said it's like being here with all of us, only we can't see her or hear her. And she can't interact with anyone. She's all alone." Jeremy says.
"Vicki could interact. She blew up my car." Dad says and I pat hid arm in an 'it's ok.'
"Vicki had help from a witch on the other side. Anna... she's doing this all by herself." He explains.
"I'm just saying, maybe we learned our lesson about summoning dead people." Dad says.
"I can't believe this us even a conversation right now." I say.
"Do you think it's even possible to contact Lexi?" Elena asks.
"I don't know. I didn't have an emotional connection with her. I never even met her." Jeremy says.
"Can we just drop it please." Dad says.
"No, I can't just drop it Ric. I don't know what else to do." Elena tells him.
"Don't you think we have a few too many dead vampires in our past to be sitting her thinking of them watching us?" Ric asks her.
"Is Anna here right now?" Elena asks Jeremy.
"No, no. I'm gonna go check my work schedule." He says and gets up.
"Hey, guys. Who forgot to invite me to the family summit?" Stefan asks sitting down. "Wow. All these words. I forgot how much I used to care." He says looking at his journal.
"I didn't." Elena says.
"You know, Elena, it's probably best you not torture yourself with memories from the past. It's best we both just move on and accept things as they are." Stefan tells her.
"You don't have to be here Stefan." Dad tells him.
"You know what, Alaric, you're right. I don't. But Elena's here, and I look out for Elena. Plus there's gonna be people everywhere tonight. So there's going to be lots to eat." He says and I look at him dumb struck. "I'm kidding. I'm kidding. Loosen up." He says and walks off.
"I can't drop it, Ric." Elena says and she gets up and we follow her into the Grill.
"We'll grab Jeremy." Dad tells her.
"I'll be right back." Elena says.
"You know, I've had enough vampires today, thanks." Dad tells Damon.
"Oh, come on. Have a drink with me. We've got trouble." Damon tells him.
"No, you've got trouble. See, we're not a team. You tried to kill me. All right? We're not friends. I don't like you anymore." Dad tells him.
"Ah! But remember back when you liked me and we conspired to kill uncle werewolf Mason Lockwood?" Damon asks him.
"Yeah, and?" Dad asks him.
"I think he's still a little pissed." Damon says and we sit down at the bar.
"Mason?" Dad asks as he takes a glass of whiskey.
"God I miss whiskey." He says and downs it, after he smashes the glass in Damons face.
"Ah! Ow. Told ya." Damon says to dad.
"Ok, I'm out of here. Don't kill my dad, please. He was just wrapped into Damon's shit." I tel Mason and he nods. I walk away and see Elena talking to someone but I can't see her face. "Elena!" I yell and they both turn to me. "Lexi?" I ask surprised.
"Hey, long time no see. You can come to." She says and drags me off with her and Elena. She takes us off to the old Forbes cellars. We go inside and Stefan is sitting there in the chair.
"Klaus really did a number on him, huh?" She says and she looks at me, like she knows something, I just look down.
"He compelled him to turn off his humanity." Elena explains.
"Well, we're just going to have to convince him to turn it back on. I have to warn you, it's not going to be pretty." She tells us.
"I can handle it." Elena says.
"Me too." I add.
"Wake up, sleepy head." Lexi says waking Stefan up.
"What is this? Let me out of here." He says pulling on the chains.
"Shh. Inside voices please. I'm trying to get inside your head." Lexi tells him.
"Elena. Get rid of her, please." He begs.
"No."
"First step: drying him out. Starve away the bloodlust. Strip away the temptation." Lexi tells us.
"This isn't going to work, Lexi. You can't do this." He tells her.
"You heard the not pretty part?" She asks and we nod. She leans in closer.
"What are you doing?" He asks her and he starts to groan. "What are you doing Lexi?!" He yells.
"Doing what I do best, sweetness. I'm saving your life." She tells him and his arms starts to desiccate.
"I'm starving. I'm starving. Let me out. Please let me out." He begs us.
"What's happening?" Elena asks.
"He's hallucinating. That's three months without any blood. Now, he's at 9 months. Two years. Five." She tells us.
"Did I ever tell you, how glad I am that you're dead." He tells Lexi.
"Oh. I missed you, too, friend." She says and Elena phone starts to ring and then she leaves the room to answer it. 
   "Elena, Elena. I'm hurting. Please help me." He pleads when Elena comes back inside.
   "Don't listen. Shut him out." Lexi tells her.
   "I am helping you, Stefan." Elena tells him.
   "I'll do anything. I'll change. I promise." He tells her.
   "It's a lie. He'll say anything right now." Lexi explains.
   "Elena, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Just make it stop. Please, just make it stop." He tells her.
   "You have to separate yourself from your emotions. Don't let him play on them." Lexi tells Elena.
   "Hey, look at me. Look at me. Elena, I love you, ok? I love you. I love you so much. I love you so much, Elena." He tells her.
  "I'm sorry, Stefan. I just don't believe you." She tells him.
   "You know what? I don't want your help, anyway. I wish I'd never met you. Every single moment I've spent with you has been a complete and total waste." He tells her.
   "You see that? That's the ripper talking. Once he's weak enough, you have to cause him pain. Make him feel things. Anger, Rage, anything. You have to make him see past the blood." She says and then stabs him in the arm.
   "Think of it as a regimen. Day in and day out. Like running the treadmill. Like making coffee. Until he's ready to be saved." She says and goes to stab him again.
   "I will rip you apart, Lexi!" He yells at her.
   "You can't. I'm already dead." She says and then stabs him and he screams. Elena gasps but I just stare at him.
   "I can't.." She says and leaves.
   "I'll stay." I say to Lexi and she nods.
   "You know, when you're on the others side. There's nothing to do but watch the people you left behind." She tells me.
   "I'm sorry. That must suck." I tell her and she nods.
   "Yeah, well I was looking after Stefan here, all summer. And you." She tells me.
   "Really?" I ask her.
   "Yeah, I saw the way you were around Klaus." She tells me and stabs Stefan.
   "Oh." I say and look down.
   "I get it. He's the bad boy, you find it attractive." She says and pulls the stake out of Stefan.
   "It wasn't like that. He's... different around me. I can't explain it. But with him, it just feels right." I tell her and she stares at me in realization.
   "You genuinely like him." She says.
   "Yeah, but it doesn't matter. Me keeping the secret that Elena was alive drove him away. He doesn't like me anymore." I tell her.
   "Please." She says and stabs Stefan. "That guy has been waiting to find you for over 1,00 years. One secret isn't going to break him. He's mad, just let him cool off." She tells me and pulls the stake back out.
   "You really think so?" I ask her and she nods.
   "Quite fighting me, Stefan. I know you're in there." Lexi tells him.
   "Not anymore, Lexi."
   "You know you say that every time. Until I make you feel again." She says and then stabs him in the stomach.
"You wasted your whole life taking care of me. Now you're dead and you still have nothing better to do." Stefan tells Lexi.
"We're running out of time." Elena says walking in.
"You gotta give me more." Lexi tells us.
"I can't." She says.
"No! No-- Not until I break through." She tells her.
"I can't Lexi. They have the necklace. They're going to close the door." Elena explains.
"The necklace. Ok. That necklace. At least tell me you remember how you felt about that. You found it during your darkest time. And you said, when you made it through, that that necklace represented hope." Lexi says crouching in front of him.
"Ironic, then, that it's about to be blown to pieces." He says.
"He's still in there, guys. You just have to break through." She tells us and I grab her hand.
"It's ok lexi. I know what to do now. You can be free." Elena says and then Lexi disappears.
"So, what are you gonna do Elena? You just gonna stand there? Waiting for me to dry out?" Stefan asks.
"No, I'm gonna go home with my sister. Take care of my brother. Be a friend to Bonnie and everything else I have to do." She says and she takes my hand and goes to walk out.
"That's good for you. You know, I was wondering when you were going to give up. Lexi gave you enough of a glimpse into your tragic future." He says.
"I haven't given up Stefan. I still have hope. But there's nothing that I can do until you get yours back." She says and goes to walk out.
"I'll meet you up there." I tell her and she nods. I walk over to Stefan. "You watched all summer, while I did whatever was going on between me and Klaus. But you never judged me. You never told me I was a horrible person or that what I was doing was wrong. And I know you don't want to feel the guilt of everything that went down this summer. But if you don't fight for it, if you don't turn your humanity back on, you will lose my sister, you'll lose me and everyone who cares about you. Because we won't love a ghost for the rest of our lives. I tell him and squeeze his hand in mine.