Heart of Darkness

"Yeah, thanks Caroline." I say and hang up before sitting back down on the bed.
   "What is it, love?" Nik asks from his doorway.
   "I have to ask for a favor." I tell him and he sits down next to me. "My dad, he has this vampire killing alter ego that well is killing the members of the founders council. Long story, well his alter ego has hidden one of the last two white oak stakes. They have him at the Salvatore boarding house. They are waiting for his alter ego to come out. They're going to find the stake. I promise, but I need you to sot tight and not kill my dad. Okay, don't even go over there." I tell Nik and he sighs. "I'm serious Nik. He is the only parent I have left. If you even threaten him I will be pissed. Leave them alone and they'll find the stake. I'm going over there now." I tell him and stand up. I kiss Nik and then leave the room and make my way out to my car. I drive over to the boarding house and make my way in as quiet as possible. I walk down to the basement and towards the only locked cell and go inside.
   "Phoebe. What the hell are you doing here?" My dad asks me.
   "Well maybe if you would let me see you." I tell him. "So what were you guys going to do. Just kill Klaus and everyone, then just turn to me and be like, sorry?" I ask him and he sighs.
   "You're mad." He says as he lays down on his cot.
   "Yeah I'm mad. I know none of you guys understand it, or like it, and you don't have to. But they're my family too. Just like you are. Esther, she gave me back my memories.... They're my family too." I tell him and he sighs with a nod.
   "When did you get to be so grown up. I never wanted you to be apart of any of this." He tells me and I sit on the edge of the cot.
   "Dad, I'm the reincarnation of Naomi. I was born into this. You just helped me be better prepared for it." I tell him and he smiles at me. "I should get going before Stefan figures out I'm down here. See you later dad." I say and as I'm locking the door Stefan is walking over.
    "Now that I gave you a few minutes pretending not to know you were down here, get out of here. You need to be safe." He tells me.
   "And you guys need to stop trying to kill my boyfriend." I tell him and he sighs.
   "Whatever. Hunter's upstairs, just don't bother him. Pretty sure he doesn't want to see you." Stefan tells me and I roll my eyes and make my way up the stairs and out the front door. I go out to my car and sit there and take a deep breathe before making my way back to the apartment to grab my dad some more things. I pack a bag of fresh clothes with some snacks and a few more books. I get in my car and head back to the boarding house. When I get to the basement the cellar door is wide open. I drop the bag and run towards it. I turn to see Nik, Stefan and my very dead father on the ground.
"Dad!? Oh, my god." I say pushing past them to kneel next to my dad's body. I'm sobbing and then I find his hand and see his ring on it. "He's wearing his ring... Why is he wearing the thing that turning him into this?!" I yell at Stefan.
"Damon... He thought it was a good idea when we were trying to kill them." Stefan tells me.
"You mean when you were plotting to kill me and all my siblings." Nik says and I turn to him.
"You mean how you just killed my dad?" I ask him and he looks down for a second.
"Come on, love, he was wearing his ring." He tells me.
"You're such an ass." I say pushing him back. "This is exactly how he is this way. People killing him just because they can." I tell them and turn back to my dad. "Get out." I say and neither of them move. "I said get out." I say putting his head in my lap.
"Phoebe... if he wakes up the other him..." Stefan starts.
"I'm not leaving you alone down here with him." Nik adds in.
"He's my dad. I'd like to think that even the other him wouldn't kill his daughter." I tell them and Stefan coughs.
"You don't know that." He tells me.
"I'll take my chances. Leave us alone." I tell them and then I hear Nik sigh and footsteps walking away.

I sat with him until he woke up half way through the night. He woke up with a gasp and I move back while he sits up.
   "Dad? Is it... well... you?" I ask him and he looks up at me and stands up.
   "Yeah, did the other me come out?" He asks me and I shake my head.
   "No, you just laid there dead half the night." I tell him.
   "I'm sorry." I tell him and he sits down on the cot.
   "Phoebe, you should leave." Stefan says walking in.
   "Why?" I ask and he gives me a look. "What are you gonna do Stefan?" I ask him and he just looks away. "No, you're not hurting my dad." I tell him.
  "Phoebe, it's fine. Just go upstairs." My dad tells me and then nods when I give him a questioning look.
"Leave, Phoebe." Stefan says and I rush out of the room and upstairs. As I'm rushing through the hallway I bump into someone.
"I'm-I'm sorry. I wasn't watchin-" I stutter out and look up to see Hunter. "Hunter..." I trail off in surprise and he smiles at me.
"Hey," he says and I'm suddenly very confused.
"Hi. How have you been?" I ask him.
"I'm good. I was traveling for a while. Now I'm back. Are you okay?" He asks me referring to my now puffy eyes.
"Oh, yeah. Just, I'm pretty sure Stefan is beating my Dad to a pulp to make the other him, come out." I tell him and he nods.
"Phoebe..." I hear from behind Hunter and look over his shoulder to see Nik and Rebekah.
   "What are you doing here?" Hunter asks standing in front of me.
   "Hunter... it's okay." I tell him moving out from behind him.
   "He just killed your dad." Hunter says giving me an 'are you kidding me look'.
   "He knew he wouldn't actually die. And even though it was an ass move." I say and look over my shoulder at Nik. "He knows that I would never forgive him for killing or hurting any of my friends or family on purpose." I say and walk away backwards from Hunter and towards Nik.

   "That's a little gratuitous, don't you think, Stefan? I would have been more gentle." Nik says as Rebekah walks into the room with my dad.
   "Oh, my god. Daddy..." I say and go to walk towards him before Stefan stops me.
   "It's not him." He tells me and I nod and fight the tears.
   "I'm gonna take him to the caves. You're gonna go inside and fetch the stake, and if you think you can hide you're wrong." Rebekah says and drags my dad out of the house.
   "And then there was one. I know about your brothers little mission to Denver. He failed. Not that that's news anymore." Nik tells Stefan and I sigh and sit on the couch.
    "So what are you going to do now, Klaus? Are you going to kill me?" Stefan asks him.
   "I haven't actually decided yet." He says and sits next to me and I stand up and moves towards Stefan in a motion to tell him that he won't hurt my friend.
  "Oh, sure you have. See, you've had every chance and every chance imaginable to do it, but yet you haven't. Which means you don't want to." Stefan tells him.
   "You know what? You're right. See, I'm still waiting for my old friend to come back. By the looks of it, he's just beneath the surface. Waiting to come out and play. Isn't that right, Ripper?" Nik says and I roll my eyes at his dramatics.
   "I've been fighting that part of myself. Thinking that if I repress it, it would go away. But it won't. And now that I've accepted it, it can't control me. And neither can you. So.. unless you're gonna stake me, why don't you get the hell out of my house." He says and walks away but not before giving me a look to say he's sorry.
    "Night, Stef." I tell him and turn back to Nik.
    "Well you heard him, let's go." I tell him and turn to walk out the door.