The New Deal

"All right you have a choice. Bloody Mary, Screwdriver, Brunch in a bottle. Come on Ric, I can't drink all this by myself. I mean, I can, but then someone's getting naked." Damon says as Him, my dad, and I sit at the bar in the grill.
   "He's doing work. He's not day drinking like you." I tell him and go back to reading my book.
   "Oh, man. I can't believe you're making me drink alone." Damon groans.
   "I'm busy." He tells him.
   "It's the eve of Klausageddon. You're doing homework?" He asks my dad and I roll his eyes.
   "This may come as a shock, But I am not here to hang out with you. I'm here to see Jeremy, who is an hour late for his shift." Dad tells him.
   "Kids today. Where are their values. Skipping work, stopping a murder if someone really evil." He says and I roll my eyes at Damon's words.
   "That's his midterm paper. Copied it straight off the internet. Didn't even try to hide it." My dad says.
   "Ooh. Somebody's getting grounded." Damon says.
  "Did you say you were waiting for Jeremy-- as in Jeremy Gibert?" The  bartender ask us and we nod.
   "He was fired last week." The girl tells us and walks away. Dad and Damon tell Elena he got fired and I still sit at the bar. Dad leaves and Damon starts to play darts. I order another soda and read a few more pages of my book. I look around the grill and see Klaus with Damon and Elena. I close my book and rush over to them.
   "This is me broadening the scope, sweetheart." I hear Klaus say as I walk up to them.
   "Hey, what's going on?" I ask them and Elena just looks away from me.
   "Nothing love, I was just leaving. Do you want to join me?" Klaus asks.
   "Give me a second." I tell him and he nods and walks away. "What are we going to do about Jeremy?" I ask Elena.
"I'm on it. You should just go, Phoebe." She tells me and I look at her in disbelief.
"You know, I sort of understand how you were shitting out Stefan, because he was just your boyfriend. But I guess I don't understand how you could shit out your little sister whom you grew up with." I tell her and walk away towards the door, and towards Klaus. "Let's go." I say and grab his hand and drag him out of the grill.
   "Are you ok, love?" He asks me.
   "I'm fine." I tell him.
   "Ok, how about I meet you at your apartment? I have an errand I need to run." He tells me and I nod.
   "Yeah, I'll see you later then." I tell him and walk off in the direction of the apartment. Once I get there I work on homework while I wait for Klaus. My phone starts ringing and I look and see that it's Damon.
   "Hello?" I ask as I pick up the phone.
   "Hey, it's Ric. Klaus compelled Jeremy to stand in-front of a speeding car but Ric jumped in to move him out of the way. He has his ring so now we just wait for him to wake up. Elena and I are going on a little errand. Can you come to the house and wait for him wake up?" He tells me all at once.
   "Wait, what? My dad got hit by a car?" I ask him.
   "Yeah, look, don't tell Elena I called you. She didn't want to but, it's your dad so I figured you would want to be here." He tells me.
   "Yeah, I'll be right over. Thanks Damon." I say.
   "Don't mention it." He says and hangs up. I get up off my bed and grab my jacket. I turn around and see Klaus standing by my door.
   "No, not right now Niklaus." I say to him and go to move past him.
  "Hey, am I missing something?" He asks me. "What's wrong, love?" He asks me looking like he actually cares.
   "Stop. Stop pretending like you care. You almost killed my brother, my dad is dead so I am going to go sit with him and wait for him to wake up." I say and I go to move my arm from his grasp. It doesn't budge and soon I'm in hysterics trying to get my arm free.
   "Calm down. I'm doing what I have to do to get my family back." He tells me.
   "And what about my family? What about them? They are not just some humans for you to toy with. They are important to me, and I thought that would mean something to you. But I guess I was wrong about that." I say and go to move again and he still doesn't let go. "Let go of me." I tell him and I don't look at him. He sighs and his grip loosens. I walk to my door and just as I'm about to leave I hear him whisper an 'I'm sorry.'
  "So am I. For ever believing that you loved me." I say and walk out.

When I get to the house I see my dad laying on the couch unconscious. I race over and sit on the floor by him.
   "Oh, my god. I'm so sorry dad." I say and take his hands in mine. I lay my head on his chest and soon I fall asleep.
I wake up to my dad sitting up. I look up at him and instantly hug him.
   "I'm sorry dad." I say and he just chuckles.
  "I'm ok. And none of this is in any way your fault." He tells me. I help him stand up and that's when Elena walks in.
   "Ric. Hey. When did you return to the living?" She asks him.
  "Just a few minutes ago. How's Jeremy?" He asks.
   "Hating me. Hating life. Hating the fact that we can't even have a family dinner somebody dying before dessert." She says and I look down at the fact that they were having a "family dinner" without me. "Are you okay?" I hear Elena say and my dad starts coughing up blood. I run to his side and help him stay up.
   "Something's wrong with the ring." He says and then he falls and I sit by his side.
   "Call an ambulance, Elena!" I yell at her and turn back to my dad. "It's ok, dad. You're gonna be ok." I say as tears start to spill down my cheeks. When the EMTs show up Elena lets them in and then I move out of the way to let them work on my dad. They're about to take my dad but Klaus' hybrid shows up at the door and compels them to meet us at the hospital.
   "What? No, no no. Wait. No, you have to help him." Elena yells as they leave. I move back to my dad and I make sure he's still breathing.
"What are you doing?" Elena asks the hybrid.
   "You can still save his life, Elena. Here, take my blood. But... I can't get in." He says to her and I pull my dad's head into my lap. "You're gonna have to invite me." He says.
   "No. Why are you doing this?" Elena asks him.
   "Klaus asked for his family. You didn't deliver." He says and my dad starts coughing.
   "Ric, oh my god. I'm right here Ric." Elena says rushing over to us.
   "He's gonna die. You might want to invite me in Elena." He says.
  "Invite him in." I tell her. And she shakes her head and the hybrid gets shot. Elena gets up and goes to the door. Jeremy is out there.
   "He's not dead yet." He says and walks in. He goes to the kitchen and grabs a butchers knife. He chops off the head. "Now he's dead. We've got to get Alaric to the hospital, now." He says and rushes in. He moves my dad to the car and when I go to get in Elena stops me.
   "I think you should stay here." She tells me.
   "He is the last living parent I have left. I'm not leaving him." I tell her.
   "Like you left him this summer." She says.
   "She comes with us." My dad mumbles and I get into the car before she can stop me.

When we get to the hospital I wait in the room with my dad, because technically only family can be with him. And my brother and Elena are not legally his family. Stupid hospital rules.
  "Dad you should be resting." I tell him as he stands up and gets changed.
   "No, I'm getting out of here." He says.
   "Mr. Saltzman. What are you doing up? You should be resting." The doctor comes in saying.
   "I was just saying that." I tell her and he gives me a look.
   "I'm more of a walk-it-off kind of guy. Do I need to sign something?" He asks her.
   "You need to rest." I mumble and he gives me a look that says to shut up.
   "Internal hemorrhaging, 3 broken ribs, and a severe concussion. I have no idea how you're on your feet right now. But I need to run some more tests." She says.
   "Actually, I have some place I need to be. But thank you, doctor..." He trails off.
   "Fell. But the patients who follow my advice get to call me Meredith." She says and he laughs.
   "Well, uh, I appreciate your help, Dr. Fell. Come on Pheebs." He says and I follow him as he leaves the room.
   "Mr. Saltzman, what is your secret? Guardian angel, or did you sell your soul to the devil?" She asks.
   "A little of both." He says and grabs my hand and walks out with me.
"So the ring brought you back to life? But it didn't heal you. Did that mean it's broken?" Jeremy asks as we walk out to the car.
   "I don't know. It's never happened like that before. I guess I have Damon's blood to thank for the fact that I'm still walking." My dad says.
   "He said to say that you owe him a drink." Jeremy tells him.
   "That's funny. I's rather have head trauma. Hey Jeremy... you ok?" My dad asks him.
   "Why wouldn't I be? I shot a hybrid in the back and chopped it's head off with a meat cleaver. Typical Sunday, huh?" He tells him.
   "You can talk to me about this kind of stuff. You know that, right?" My dad offers.
   "What could you tell me that I don't already know? This is the way things are. It sucks, but I just got to get used to it." He says and we walk the rest of the way to the car. My dad drops me off at the apartment where I take a shower and get ready for bed. The last thought that pops into my head is that I wish I was laying in Klaus's arms.