Do Not Go Gentle

"So Alaric is trying to pull himself together. Why is that a bad thing?" Caroline asks us as we walk through the school getting ready for the dance tonight.
"I just, I wish there was something I could do. Where do you want me to hang this thing?" Elena asks as she holds up a chandelier.
"You know what? If Rebekah wanted to hang this monstrosity, she should have shown up to do it herself. Just no." Caroline says and passes it to some girl walking by.
"What are you doing? You can't just hang them. They're supposed to trickle down." Caroline says yelling at Matt and Jeremy. "Look at them all bromancey." Caroline comments and I smile.
"Yeah, I asked Matt to help Jeremy readjust. He got him his old job back at the grill. Jeremy's got a lot on his mind. The whole thing with Alaric has him stressed out." Elena comments.
"Your sure it had nothing to do with witnessing you and Damon getting hot and heavy in a skeevy motel?" Caroline asks and I turn to Elena.
"What?!" I ask her in surprise.
"I didn't tell you that so you could torture me with it." Elena tells Caroline.
"Um, the more important thing is why didn't you tell me?" I ask her.
"This whole Alaric thing has been hard on all of us, but you especially. I mean yes, we all consider him family, but he actually is your birth dad. I know how much this hurts you." She tells me and now they're both looking at me.
"I'm fine, really. My dad is going to be okay. We're gonna find a way to fix this and in the mean time, we just have to hope Bonnie's herbs work." I tell them and they both give me disapproving looks. "I'm serious, I just want to go to the dance with my gorgeously hot boyfriend and make him show me some moves from the time period. And don't give me s lecture, Nik promised to be on his best behavior and I know it doesn't seem like it but he's really been trying." I tell them and they both nod and smile. I know it's pity because of my dad but I will take any sort of treaty between them I can get.
"So you're bring the big bad hybrid, who are you bringing Elena?" Caroline asks.
"What do you mean? I thought you Bonnie an I were going as girl dates." Elena tells her wrapping a father boa around her neck.
"Bonnie has a date." Caroline tells us.
"What?" Elena asks.
"Don't act surprised Elena! Bonnie's hot she can score a date." I say hitting her arm playfully.
"Jamie called and wanted to see her, so she asked him." Caroline explains. "So here's a thought, why don't you ask Stefan?" Caroline tells Elena.
"I--I can't ask him on a date. I just made out with his brother." Elena tells us.
"All the more reason. Like, you're supposed to be figuring out what you want. That's what Stefan wanted you to do, right?"
"Yeah, but--"
"But nothing." Caroline cuts her off. "I've watched the bachelor ok, fair is fair. It is Stefan's turn." Caroline tells her.
"Yeah, and you're not biased or anything." Elena says.
"I'm sorry, but Stefan was your epic love. And I'm not going down without a fight." Caroline tells her and turns to me. "What do you think Pheebs?" She asks me and Elena turns to look at me.
"Fair is fair. But only because you are supposed to be figuring out your feelings not just for Damon but for Stefan too." I tell Elena and she nods.

I'm getting ready for the dance in the gold 20's dress Rebekah gave me from when she was in the time period when the door bell rings.
"Elena! That'll be Nik picking me up! I scream out of my room towards hers. "I'll see you at the dance." I say as I walk down the stairs towards the door. I open to find a very handsome looking Nik there. "Hey." I say as I answer the door.
"You look beautiful, love." Nik tells me and I walk out and close the door behind me.
"You don't look to bad yourself." I tell him and he leads me to his car and we make our way to the dance.
When we arrive a lot of people are already there. Nik takes my hand leads me straight to the dance floor.
"Wow, no pleading needed. I like this." I say and he gives me his signature smile. After a few minutes a slow song comes on. He pulls me into his arms and I wrap my arms around his neck.
"How are you doing?" He asks me.
"I'm okay." I tell him and he gives me a look to say he doesn't believe me. "Really I'm okay. Everything will work out. It always does." I tell him and then I see Elena Damon and Stefan pass by a few people away. "Um, stay here." I tell him and he moves to follow me. "Please, just stay." I plead and he nods. I follow after them a few feet and walk into the hallways to see them discussing.
"The guy that we know is gone. We're talking about someone who not only hates vampires, but vampire sympathizers, which makes one of his most obvious targets-- I don't know-- you and you're sister. She's dating the worst vampire of all." I hear Damon say as I walk closer to them.
"What? you think he'd go after Elena and Phoebe?" Stefan asks.
"So wait, what are you suggesting we do?" Elena asks him.
"I'm suggesting we put him out of his misery." Damon tells them.
"No." I say and they all turn to look at me.
"Oh, come on. It's what he would want. It's a mercy killing." Damon tells me.
"You are out if your mind." I hear Jer say behind me.
"Who are you to say what he would want? He is my dad. Mine." I tell him. "If either of you even tries to hurt my dad with the purpose of killing him. I will put a stake through your hearts myself." I tell them both and walk away from them. I hear Elena and Jeremy talking behind me as we exit the school but I'm frozen in my spot when I see Esther.
"You're dead." I tell her in disbelief.
"Have been before." She says and turns her attention to my sister. "Elena. If you wish to help your friend Alaric, I suggest you come with me." Esther tells her.
"Jeremy, Phoebe go inside and get Stefan and Damon. Now." She tells us but I just stand there as Jeremy runs in.
"I mean you no harm, but willingly or not, you will come." She tells her and I stop Elena from walking. Esther moves her hand and then blackness over comes me. I wake up in the cafeteria around everyone.
"Esther's here. She took Elena, she had my dad." I tell them all in a rush as I stand up.
"We know." It's Jeremy and he's holding my arm.
"People are walking right out of the dance, past the barrier." Matt says coming in.
"Well if Matt, Phoebe and I can leave, we could stop Esther ourselves. We just gotta find out where she is." Jeremy says.
"Suicide Jeremy." Stefan says.
"Suicide would be disappointing me. Now work your magic witch. Or I'll start killing people you fancy." Nik says as he starts to choke Jamie.
"Nik!" I scream and move to stop him but Jeremy grabs my arm.
"Let him go." Bonnie tells him.
"Not until you get us out of here."
"Ah, don't be stupid, Klaus. Bonnie doesn't give a damn about us. The only reason she's helping right now is to save Caroline and Tyler. You start killing people she cares about, she'll tell us all to go to hell." Stefan tells him and he drops Jamie. We all wait in the cafeteria while Bonnie leaves to do a locator spell. A few minutes go by and they tell Matt Jeremy and I that she's at the cemetery. We go to leave when Nik stops me.
"Nope." He tells me.
"'Nik, let go." I say and try to yank my arm out of his grip.
"You are not going to fight and die." He tells me.
"I'll be fine." I tell him and free my arm. "It's my dad. I'm going to save him." I tell him and continue chasing after Matt and Jeremy.
When we arrive at the cemetery Esther comes out of the crypt and Matt pulls a gun on her.
"Don't move." He tells her.
"Where's Elena?" Jer asks.
"Where's my dad?" I ask her with a bow and arrow.
"Jeremy? Phoebe?" Elena asks as she walks out.
"Let her go." Jer says.
"How foolish of you, to risk your lives in defense of those who will kill you. But if that is your choice." She says and points Jer and Matt's weapons at each other.
"Matt! Drop your gun!"
"I can't! I'm not controlling it." Matt says and I drop my bow and arrow and jump between them.
"Esther stop it!" Elena yells and them Esther is stabbed and my dad is standing behind her.
"Daddy." I say and run up to him.
"Where's my ring?" He asks as he wraps his arms around me. "Tell me what happened." He whispers over to Elena.

"Damon's here." Jermey says walking into the crypt. "And Klaus took Esthers body. Also I promised him that you would call him later." He tells me and I nod.
"Does he know about the stake?" My dad asks.
"No, only that she tried to turn you into a weapon and failed." Jeremy says and then my dad and Elena share a look.
"What's going on?" Jer asks and I look at them with questioning eyes.
"Listen Jeremy, Phoebe." He says taking my hand. "I'm not gonna complete the transition." He tells us. "My dark side was dangerous enough as a human. I can't be a vampire." He explains and I take my hand out if his.
"So what, we''re just gonna lock you in here and let you die?" Jeremy asks and they're both silent. That's when I turn and walk out of the crypt. I walk out a few yards into the woods and I lean against a tree while tears spill down my face. It's only when I feel a hand touch my shoulder I stop to take a breathe and calm down. I turn around to see my dad.
"I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. It's all my fault." I say and wrap my arms around his waist tight. "I should have stayed away from Nik. They-- They would have left and Esher with them." I say into his chest.
"Don't do that." He tells me and smooths down my hair. "This is not your fault. You followed your heart, and I couldn't be prouder." He tells me and kisses the top of my head.
"Please don't leave me." I tell him and sob more. "I need you, don't leave me." I say and he pulls away from me.
"You don't need me." He says and wipes my tears. "You are so strong. You will get through this. And I will watch over you." He tells me. "Being your dad... that has been the greatest part of my life. You are the best of me. And if I have contributed to raising you at all in the last year, that is all I could ask for." He tells me and kisses my forehead. "You should go." He tells me and I let out a quiet sob.
"I love you so much Dad." I tell him and hug him again.
"I love you, too." He tells me and then he pulls away, takes my hand and we walk back towards the crypt together. When we get back everyone is there waiting outside. He lets go of my hand and I walk over to Hunter and he pulls me into a side hug. He looks over all of us one more time and when his eyes lock with my mine I mouth 'I love you, dad." And he says it back and walks into the crypt. I let more tears run down my face when he closes the door and Hunter pulls me into a hug.
"Can you just take me back to the apartment?" I asks him and he nods. In a few seconds we're standing in front of the apartment door.
"Do you want me to come in with you?" He asks me and I shake my head. "Phoebe, you really shouldn't be alone." He tells me.
"I wanna be. Just let me be alone." I tell him and walk inside my apartment and lock the door as soon as I'm in. I make my way to my dad's room and go to his closet. I take off one of his shirts and head back to my room. I grab my Duke hoodie, that was my dad's, and change out of my dress and into that. I lay on my bed and bring his shirt up to my face and cry until I'm fast asleep.

A/N: This chapter really made me cry. Like a whole lot and I wasn't ready for it.