➰Chapter Fifty-six➰

Chapter Fifty-six

"I don't get what it is," Leah said, as she eyed her sister's artwork from the corner of her eye.

Clary rolled her eyes. "That's because it's not finished yet."

"I don't think that's it," Leah replied, resuming her attempt to draw a horizon with a frown.

"Just focus on your painting," Clary replied, clearly annoyed about being interrupted. "Why did you ask me to help you learn, anyway? I thought writing was your thing."

"It is," Leah agreed, as she felt someone lean over her shoulder and stare at her canvas thoughtfully. She rolled her eyes. "Look, I know what you're thinking."

"It's... Interesting. Is that supposed to be a puddle?"

"No, Jace. It's supposed to be Lake Lyn," Leah retorted, to which he couldn't help but laugh.

"She asked me to give her some pointers about art, but she has absolutely no patience," Clary explained.

"Why do you want to learn how to paint?" Jace asked Leah, as she put her pencil aside and decided to take a break.

Leah shrugged. "I wanted to spend some time with my little sister."

Clary scoffed. "Are you serious? We've been arguing over your lack of skills for the past hour. If you wanted us to spend time together, we could've just gone to the movies or something far more pleasant."

Leah laughed, nodding. "I guess we could have. Sorry."

Clary sighed, rolling her eyes playfully. "I got to go. I promised to meet Luke for lunch today."

"Alright. I'll see you later," Leah said, as Clary left, and Jace turned her around by her waist. "What's up?"

"I owe you an apology."

Leah frowned. "For what?"

"For never taking you anywhere that doesn't involve seraph blades, murderous relatives or any near-death experiences."

Leah laughed. "Jace, you just described a Shadowhunter's life."

"Look, being Shadowhunters doesn't mean that we can't try to leave the most normal life we can," Jace replied. "So... How about we do something normal, for a change?"

"Normal?" Leah said, acting incredibly surprised. "Wow. That's unheard of."

"I'm serious!" Jace chuckled.

"So... Just to be clear. You're asking me on a date?" Leah sneered.

Jace played it cool, but she could tell he was nervous. "Not exactly a date. More like a get-together. But just the two of us."

"So, a date." Leah laughed.

"Sure, Leah. If you want to call it that."

"Well, then... I'd be delighted to go on this non-date with you, Jace." Leah replied, putting her hands on his shoulders. "But... Where are we going?"

"It's uh... a surprise."

➰➰➰

"Whatever it is, I won't fix it. I already fixed your stele three times, Jace." Isabelle said, her focus unwavering from what she was doing, as she heard Jace walk into the armory.

"I didn't break it this time," Jace said, showing her her stele, intact. "Actually... I was hoping you could give me a dinner recommendation."

"You're asking the wrong Lightwood. Alec and Magnus have been to every restaurant in New York." Isabelle said.