➰Chapter Fifty-nine➰

Chapter Fifty-nine

"Jace!" Leah called, as she found him once again, at a random rooftop.

He hissed at her, before charging at her and throwing the first punch, that she was able to block with the help of her spear. She had never seen his so angry, yet devoid of emotion. She landed some punches on his stomach, but he landed some other, knocking the air out her.

"Jace, this isn't you," Leah said, as she reached for her stele, just as he finally caught a hold of her by her throat, choking her. He held her menacingly over the edge of the roof. "Go ahead, do it. But I know you won't. I love you."

Jace pulled her closer, whispering into her ear with a cold smile. "I don't love you. Not anymore."

He then let go of her, and Leah had never felt so hurt in her entire life. She barely had any time to think about it, as her body finally reached a car several stories below her, and she slowly felt her life diming, certain that this was the end.

➰➰➰

"Leah, is this really important? It's kind of a bad time right now," Simon said, surprised to even see that she'd called.

"Simon... I can't move," Leah choked out in a low voice. Simon frowned. He knew something was wrong.

"Where are you?"

"Near Crosby. Please help."

Simon didn't hesitate to sprint to aid her, and he knew he'd done the right thing when he saw her, bleeding out, practically on the verge of death, having fallen on a car from what seemed to be a considerable height. "Leah."

Leah couldn't talk anymore, but reached for his hand. She had called him because he was the first name to pop up in her contacts, but she was glad that he was here. He was a good friend, and if she was going to die, she was glad that at least she'd have him by her side. "S...Simon."

"You're going to be fine. It's all going to be alright," he reassured her, but Leah knew he wasn't sure about that. "Who did this to you?"

"Jace."

➰➰➰

"Jace is the Owl?" Alec asked, with a frown. "How is that even possible?"

"This whole time it wasn't his mental health. He was possessed," Isabelle realized.

"By an extremely powerful Greater Demon," Magnus added. "Who gave him the ability to turn Mundanes into demonic killers."

"I still can't believe he hurt Leah," Clary said, shaking her head. "If Simon hadn't been there..."

"This is not just any Greater Demon. Clary was able to draw an image of the beast. It matches this image from the Silent City archives," Magnus said, pointing at one of the scrolls. "The demon is Lilith. Queen of Edom. Adam's first wife."

"Adam as in Garden of Eden Adam?" Isabelle asked, with a frown.

"The one and only. She's the mother of all demons," Magnus replied.

"She's more powerful than anything we've ever encountered," Alec sighed worriedly. "But, of all people, why Jace?"

"I can answer that," Leah said, limping into the room in pain, still recovering from Jace's attack. They all turned to her in surpise. "There's something I should've come clean about a long time ago."

"Leah, don't do this," Clary warned, but she shook her head.

"Alec, that night, when your rune disappeared... It disappeared because Jace was killed by Valentine."