➰Chapter Sixty-five➰

Chapter Sixty-five

"This is not going to work," Leah scoffed, as she crossed her arms over her chest with annoyance.

"Who's the optimist now?" Simon snorted, recalling what she had called him sarcastically long ago.

"Thank you for coming, Cain. It really means a lot," Clary spoke.

"I have spent centuries cowering in the dark. It was finally time to come into the light," Cain said, as he stared at the light entering from the glass windows.

"Well, I wouldn't exactly call meeting with the Queen of Hell 'coming into the light', but I'm certainly glad you came, anyway," Leah said, earning the usual serving of warning looks from her friends.

"Simon, good job getting him here," Jace nodded gratefully.

"No problem."

"Now go away."

Simon looked taken aback. "What?"

"Look, I don't have time to babysit you. Without your mark, you're defenseless."

"Defenseless?" Simon bore his fangs at him. "Do these look defenseless to you?"

Isabelle watched the whole thing unfold, probably enjoying it as much as Leah was. Jace seemed unamused by the vampire's attempts to seem menacing. "Really?"

"Leah has been there for me in the past, and Clary's my best friend. The Fairchilds and I, were a package deal, like it or not."

Leah smiled. "Aw, thanks Simon. I'm going to miss you when we all die."

Clary rolled her eyes. "Nobody is going to die. Alright. I'm going to open a summoning Portal inside the Malachi Configuration. Once Lilith surfaces, she'll be trapped inside."

"If she breaks free, use your vamp speed and act as our shield," Isabelle instructed Cain, who simply nodded.

"I will do my best."

"Everyone keep their eyes open. Don't take any chances," Jace commanded.

"We're going to die," Leah muttered.

"And for the love of God, Leah, try to keep a positive attitude," Jace ordered her, making her roll her eyes.

Clary started doodling a rune into the air, making a fire pentagram appear inside the Configuration's limits. Leah had to admit, she was shocked that the rune had worked. She had severely underestimated her sister's ability, something she swore she'd never do again.

They were all eerily glad to see Lilith, grunting as she suddenly appeared inside the prison. She seemed angrier than usual.

Clary forced a smile. "Welcome back."

"So many familiar faces," Lilith said, as she turned to face Cain beside her. "Son of Adam," She then turned to Jace. "My precious Owl. How lovely to see you both."

Leah rolled her eyes. "Why are bad guys so predictable?"

Lilith's eyes fell on Clary. "And you, the girl who stole my boy's heart."

"Let's cut to the chase, shall we?" Leah spat. "You put that rune on me and Jonathan. Now, you are going to tell me how to get rid of it."

Lilith scoffed. "And why would I do that? Jonathan, that ungrateful bastard, tried to kill me. As far as I'm concerned, you two deserve each other."

"Enough," Jace intervened. "If you're not going to cooperate willingly, we're going to have to make you."

Liliht chuckled, but Isabelle walked to the blades in the Configuration, lifting them slightly, before setting an electric shock that made the Demon Queen shriek with pain. If Leah knew Isabelle the way she thought she did, there was no doubt in her mind that the Lightwood girl would keep it up as long as necessary.