[GXG] the red string (N)

vanessa pov

I don't believe in love. To me it's utterly useless and nugatory. I'm fine being by myself and not dating... totally. I did date once though, it was the worse experience of my life. 

There was a guy and he played me bad. He treated me badly and always ignored me when I was talking to him. He always cheated on me behind my back and I let him. I never really liked him, I liked the feeling of being in love. I was an idiot back then, I learned my lesson after countless hours of sobbing. 

There was a person who made everything better though, her name was Y/n. She's my best friend ever since we were kids. We are both adults and have good paying jobs. We went to school together, even throughout college. She was so nice to go to the same school as me and succeeded in her dream job.

For some reason we always had some tension, I catch her staring at me longer than she needed to. I never say anything about it though, to be honest I kind of like it. I knew that she low key liked me but after my experience with my past boyfriend I just didn't want to get into another relationship. Plus she never asked me out or fully confessed her feelings. 

I feel like she's waiting for me, which I wouldn't want her to do. She never dated anyone or mentioned another person's name. It's like she didn't want me to get jealous. 

I got out of the car and slammed the door shut. I had to get to work and convince some clients to buy our product. I walked into the office to see Y/n whispering something to Mina. I continued to walk over and sat beside them. They both looked at me and smiled. 

"Hey guys... what are we talking about?" I asked putting my things down on my desk. They both glanced at each other and started to giggle.

"Nothing...nothing." Mina said and slightly hit Y/n's arm. I raised my eyebrow at Y/n but she just smiled back.

"Nothing's going on Vanessa. Do you...do you want to go to dinner-"

"What did I tell you about that Y/n... I'm not ready for another relationship..." I snapped. Y/n shut her mouth immediately and gulped. 

"I mean...it's been almost three years, I just thought-"

"No, you're wrong now leave I have work to do." I saw her stroll away and sit at her desk. Our desks face each other so we can see each other. Normally we would have done some faces at each other to distract the other but there was none of that today. 

lunch

y/n pov

"So...she's still not accepting your love?" Mina asked me. I sighed and nodded as she sat in the chair next to mine. 

"Well, it's really her loss. Aren't you guys like best friends?"

"Well we are, that's all we'll be." I mumbled and ate my sandwich. Mina gave me a look and sighed. 

"I wish there was a way to tell her that you two belong to each other." 

"I know, but we can't give anything away-"

"You guys started to eat without me...how rude." We looked up to see Vanessa entering the lunch room. My heart pounding and my overthinking mind thought that she heard out conversation. We watched her take a seat in the other chair across from Mina and I. She then began to eat. 

after work

"Can we just show her-"