[chap.22]

Chapter Twenty-Two: Caught in the Act
_____________

||Lily||

During the afternoon, I get an owl.
Galleon, who was supposed to be hunting, taps at a window and I open it curiously. She drops a sealed letter in my hands then lands on top of her cage, awaiting my service.

Who would be sending me letters?

Oh. It's Sirius.

I open it up carefully and perch myself onto the armrest of my blue sofa, my eyes scanning the green ink nervously.

Lily,

Are you back from France yet? Tell me everything that has happened with Harry and with you. I still cannot believe you've been enlisting the help of ol' Snivelly. You do know that Remus and I are here too.
I understand you'll be his apprentice in potions soon. If I had a choice, I'd personally want to stay away from him. Keep safe Lily.

Sirius

I frowned to myself once I had finished reading his letter. It was hard to believe that Sirius still had a strong dislike for Severus, they hardly know each other. But then again, I'm the only one Severus isn't a total bastard to.
Finding a spare parchment and some ink, I write back to Sirius.

Sirius,

Harry is much better. The Healer's in France are still going over his files and tests, so they'll be 'investigating' for a while.

Lily

I make sure to keep the letter short and sweet, because I do not want to press onto the subject about my apprenticeship or about Severus. I cannot find the energy within me to have an argument anymore. Things are starting to finally make the least bit of sense, and I don't want to ruin that.
I send the letter off with Galleon, then go to Harry's room. He's sleeping so soundly, and he doesn't look as sick as before. Carefully, I scoop him up in my arms and bring him to Dumbledore; who agreed to take care of Harry while I get everything settled for my new job.

After a small chat with the Headmaster, I escort myself down to the dungeons.

Students cast me looks of curiousness and wonder, but I try my best to keep my head down and my feet fast.

I get to his office door, and draw in a long, deep breath. This is it. This is when the apprenticeship becomes official, I'll be having to work with Severus everyday until the end of the school year. It gives me a chance to be closer to him, but I'm not exactly sure if that's the best thing. Could it be?
My hands comb through my hair, flatten down my shirt and I knocked softly. His voice calls out, saying to come in.

I twist the doorknob and enter. It has the same musky smell I remember from the first day I came back to Hogwarts since I was a student. That was the day I was tired to death, and Severus had to carry me to his dorms. I'm sure he didn't mind, since it isn't actually far. They're both in the dungeons, I wonder why he likes it down here so much.

The office is dark (and spooky), only being lit by a handsome fire, and a small table lamp. In front of his desk is two chairs and lining the walls are shelves containing jars of...potions ingredients. Many potion ingredients. Some of them have an unpleasant look, making me want to gag.
He sits behind his desk, quill in hand and eyes focused intensely on whatever is in front of him.

"Sev?" My voice was quiet, not wanting to break his train of thought.

"Take a seat." He groused, absently gesturing to the chair without averting his eyes.