[chap.28]

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Father Figure...?
________________

||Severus||

On the commencing day of Christmas Break, Lily was hesitant about going anywhere- especially with Harry. Since her home at Godric's Hollow had gone, the only place she really resided in was her quarters at Hogwarts. I fail to understand why she can't just purchase a new home, I know for a fact that Potter has quite a fortune in his Gringott's vault.. on top of the money she's been earning of her apprenticeship. Perhaps it's true that I do want her to stay with me as lengthy as possible.. though I comprehend she needs her space too. However, I find myself wanting to babble my home offerings to her.

I tidy up my office, sending the tons of piles of essays and potion samples from students with a flick of my wand; then I decide to pay her a visit. I haven't spoken to her in a while, we've both been on our tip toes lately with Hogwarts and she's been attending her son who seems to be getting better.

A part of me lives with undeniable guilt still. Even though I've confessed everything I have to confess, it feels wrong still. She's still a widow. I'm still an old canvas with the Dark Mark painted on. The emotions have changed, but the permanent markings have not.

After packing swiftly for my leave to Spinner's End - which my parents left for me - I then billowed my aggravated-self to her corridors.

Before knocking, I took a deep breath and raked my fingers through my hair. Are my robes okay? Do they have wrinkles? Wait - I can't mess up my hair otherwise I'll look like a git who messed it up for that 'cool' factor. And Oh Merlin, are the bags under my eyes still visible...
Wait.

When did Severus Snape start to care about his appearance??

And that's when it hit me. I know I care more ( not that I didn't care a lot before ) because I know there's actually a chance now. A chance with Lily. A real chance at redemption.

Instead of knocking, I go against my will and use the bloody password she recently set on her quarters. The bloody password is Potter. Potter.

My spirits fell a tad in that frame of a moment. I know through all our times and moments together again in the past couple months; a large part of her heart still loves him. Can't say it does not hurt, but no one can just forget their deceased spouse.. I guess. Things move too quickly between us, but I can't help it. When I'm around her.. it's hard to maintain self-control.

"Potter," I spat in disgust, as the door opened slowly. At the sound of the old bronze hinges' creak, I see Lily cautiously step into the sitting room to see who's entering her space. She emitted a sigh, relieved that it was just me.

"You've got to stop doing that," She grunted, leaving the sitting room and entering what I believed was her son's room.

I followed her, with the ghost of a smirk. I noticed she was wearing muggle clothing - a plaid shirt with the sleeves rolled up, ripped up jeans, and her deep-coloured auburn hair pinned into a messy bun. She looked like a greatly stressed woman, seeming to be moving homes. She was packing a bag and folding clothes. My eyes flicked over to Harry, who was sprawled on the floor and reading a book with pictures that moved; entertaining him greatly. He really is doing better - but now that the illness is wearing off, he'll have to deal with the fact that James Potter is gone..

But of course, I'd be happy to be a father figure to any child of Lily's.

"What exactly.. am I doing?" I asked in response to her grunt, taking a shirt of Harry's and helping her fold, then tucking it into the bag.

"You're just.. I don't know, so mysterious still." Lily's voice hinted amusement. I snorted.

"And why's that?" I quirked an eyebrow quizzically.