[chap.23]

Chapter Twenty-Three: Love is a Strong Word
______________

||Severus||

As soon as my office door makes a creaking sound, we jump away from each other like leaping frogs.

A small boy with a mop of ginger hair enters. He has freckles and is wearing a maroon winter jumper with a large 'W' sewn on. It's funny how someone has the time to knit that for their child, but my mother didn't even have time to teach me a simple 'Alohomora'. Perhaps it was because of my father's immense dislike for magic...and everything in general.

I scowled at him, trying not to push it because he already looked frightened. I believe his name was William Weasley, he's a first year Gryffindor.

"Mr Weasley, are you incapable of the simple gesture called knocking? Or is it just not in your ostentatious knowledge that knocking before entering is polite?" I snapped harshly, and in peripheral vision I could see Lily giving me a disapproving glare.

"I'm s-sorry Professor." Weasley stuttered nervously, not moving from the doorframe. I could see every line of fear etched in his face, just by the light pooling in from the open door.

"What is it you want? Can't you see I am busy?!" I tap my foot impatiently, feeling annoyed that ruined my moment with Lily.

"I had a question about a potion-"

"It is an assignment Mr Weasley, I cannot aid you. Now off you go, I am not in want of your presence."

He frowned sadly and closed the door behind him.
I turned to Lily, who looked confused and shocked but entertained all at the same time. A smirk crept onto my face, she raised an eyebrow at me.

"You're so sweet and sour." She said, sarcasm dripping with every word she spoke. "You don't need to be so harsh."

"Please, they're all dunderheads. Anyways, I have just two more assignments to grade - will you stay? Maybe we can go to Hogsmeade?" I asked, just able to keep the desperate and achy tone out of my voice.

"I really can't..." Lily said. I felt my spirits fall a tad more than I would've hoped. "I need to inform Sirius about something that he'll hopefully agree to."

"What?" I asked suddenly, but immediately regretted it as she quirked her mouth awkwardly, as if it were a forbidden question.

"I'm just going to go ask if he can take care of Harry while I work."

I nodded, then started to feel...empty, as she started to walk to the door. She's leaving.

I know that we won't even be that far, but I hate it when she leaves. I wish we could just be near each other all the time. My heart always get's a tight feeling whenever I see her walk away from me, especially that day she left to France.

"I'll see you later," She waved and left.
I am reminded of how I should probably get used to the fact of her leaving. What will I expect on the day I tell her about my horrid past? Lily will definitely walk out on me.

No. I don't think I'll ever get used to her leaving. It's like a part of my heart parts away, then comes back hours later to be reunited with the rest of my heart. It was painful.

//

The very next day, I noticed how Lily wasn't at breakfast.

I shrugged it off, she shouldn't need to feel obligated to spend breakfast with the whole of Hogwarts, just because she is my apprentice. Lily probably has better things to attend to in the early hours of the morning, such as her son or that unfortunate homework I gave to her.