Chapter Three

Chapter Three

When I first rested my head on my pillow, I was enveloped into yet another nightmare.

~ ~ ~

"It's okay, Val. You can open your eyes."

I hadn't realized that I had covered my eyes with my hands until I began to shakily remove them. My eyes widened as I took in the sunset. I was perched on top of a sturdy branch that belonged to a tree in the jungle; approximately hundreds of feet in the air. Splashes of red, yellow, and pink dotted the sky. My eyes watered as the sun seemed to almost suck me in. I had no phobia of falling; for I knew I could fly.

Wait. I could fly?

The being next to me chuckled as if it could read my thoughts and sense my emotions.

"Why, of course you can fly Val." It belly-laughed.

When I whipped my head around to face the boy with blood-red eyes and brown hair, I realized that it was not and 'it;' it was a 'he.' I also recognized those eyes from somewhere. I just have to remember where.

"It's beautiful, isn't it," he said softly. I glanced over at him again. He was clothed in a strange garment woven out of purple silk; it almost appeared like a wizard's cloak. The hood of the strange cloak rested upon the boy's brown head and he beamed at me with such amusement and adoration that I was highly confused.

When I remembered that I never responded to the boy's question, I nodded vigorously. He chuckled once again and ruffled my curled locks of hair as it billowed in the breeze. The breeze quickly picked up and became strong gusts of ear-nipping wind. The sun disappeared faster than I thought possible. Then stars began to appear along with the full moon.

"Shnta," the red eyed boy cursed. He snatched my hand

"Let's fly," he said hastily, snatching my hand. Suddenly, our feet left the branch and we were soaring through the nighttime clouds. The boy often glanced back at me to see if I was safety behind him. His grip on my hand tightened as we sped up faster and faster, away from the tree. We eventually went so high, that the tops of the trees were no longer visible.

"Shit." The boy cursed in English this time as he glanced quickly behind us. My brain clicked into place as I remembered what 'shnta' meant. 'Shit' was the word the boy had used; just in an unusual language. Lightning abruptly illuminated the dark sky, and barely missed us by a hair's width. I gasped in fear as the boy murmured, "It's going to be alright, Val."

But it was not going to be alright. When the lightning illuminated the sky just for that second, I noticed a pack of other cloaked people chasing us. I had a strong feeling that they were the ones that caused the lighting.

I also had a strong feeling they weren't human.

The boy with red eyes glanced behind us and stuck his hand back; aimed at the cloaked ones. Fire shot abruptly out of his fingertips as I gaped in shock. Did I have powers too? A dark shape plummeted from the sky, leaving a smoke trail behind him. I could sense the other cloaked ones' fury as the sped up at on incredible speed towards us. Another lightning bolt illuminated the sky. I suddenly felt as hot pain sear through my right arm and I sucked in a breath. The red eyed boy glanced back at me worriedly. His eyes traveled to my injured arm, and if it's possible, his eyes became darker.

"Hukipos sukae," he growled. The red eyed boy suddenly jerked to an abrupt halt and we began spiraling downward. The cloaked ones hissed as they watched us plummet. I pondered on why they wouldn't or couldn't follow us.