Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Ugh. School.

And how did I deal with Will?

I completely shunned him.

I collapse on my bed exhausted from the drama at school. I decided not to confront my friends about my encounter with Will.

"What's the matter? You look like you just saw a ghost," Jake had said, laughing.

"That's because I just did," I had mumbled.

"What?"

"Nothing." I gave him a small, reassuring smile and he decided not to push it.

I now lay on my bed, my mind locked on Will and his tousled hair and hypnotizing blue eyes.

"Happy late birthday," he had mumbled. And then he left me with a huge five ton present. Okay maybe I'm exaggerating.

But I still haven't opened the present. To be honest, I haven't had the courage to.

What if a raccoon leaps out at me and strangles me to death?

Or what if a bomb explodes and the whole house blows up along with me?

Better yet, what if a messy substance pops out of the box and covers me in goo, water, or something even grosser?

I find myself hesitantly treading over to wear the heavy gift lays on my desk. My hands shakily tear at the wrapping paper.

It's a book.

I laugh to myself. I was really being paranoid wasn't I?

A freaking book!

I remove the remaining wrapping and toss it in the garbage under my desk. I hunt for any trace of a card or note; but nothing. I sigh. I should have expected that from Will. I take time to glance at the cover of the book. 'Sorcerers' Codex,' it states. Maybe Will doesn't really know what I like because I certainly don't like to read. And I certainly don't like five pound, leather bound books covered in a sheet of dust.

My heart still warms at the kind gesture. I'm just an idiot standing in the middle of my room, grinning to myself.

I open the cover of the book and find no description on the contents it contains. I frown as I turn to the first chapter and skim the words on the first pages. Confusion overcomes me as I continue to skim the old, gold bordered pages. I don't even know what language the book is written in half of the time.

I read on spells, magic, ancestors of the sorcerers' kind and their future descendants. My eye brows continued to furrow more and more as I stare at the pictures the book provides.

Why would Will give me this book? I repeatedly question myself.

I skim over the powers that many sorcerers are born with, but don't know they contain and what are some very common powers.

Water, lightning, fire, earth, ice, wind, plants, animals. . . .

The list was endless.

A shiver suddenly traveled down my spine. That's strange. I don't remember opening any windows or doors. Also, summer just ended a couple of days ago. It would be impossible if the weather drastically changed that fast.

I hurried to my closet to clothe myself in a baggy sweat shirt of mine. I slipped it over my head and around my arms. But it helped nothing. Another shiver traveled up my spine as I pondered on why I was so cold. I mentally cursed as I thought of the one vires that could produce the shivers.